Wolverine spotted in Yellowstone National Park

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/19/wolverine-spotted-in-yellowstone-national-park.html

9 Likes

But what was it’s CGC rating?

7 Likes

11 Likes

Good old gulo gulo.

Today I learned:

Wolverines, like other mustelids, possess a special upper molar in the back of the mouth that is rotated 90 degrees, towards the inside of the mouth. This special characteristic allows wolverines to tear off meat from prey or carrion that has been frozen solid.[21][22]

5 Likes

Someone in the Gizmodo comments had a link to this wonderful video of a wolverine walking by carrying the head of an unfortunate goat.

Also, I had that comic. Why did I sell it. Sigh. Dumb little kid I was.

4 Likes

My brother in law went through his bins and found #1 Walking Dead. 9.8 CGC rated and it went for 3k USD. It’s crazy what people will pay for these things. I have entire boxes of 80’s and 90’s comics. Just waiting for the right moment. I have the whole Infinity Gauntlet series, so I was hoping to cash out on the Avengers movies :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Kinda cute in some pics.

7 Likes

“Can I haz skritches? And also your arm?”

9 Likes

Cuteness aside they are some nasty little brutes. They’re basically the North American version of the Honey Badger.

6 Likes

I love the offhand tossed-in-at-the-last-possible-moment “but they’re said to be mean”. :rofl:

3 Likes

Ahem!

4 Likes

I don’t usually go in for celebrity stuff, but this was surreal: I met Wolverine as we passed in my kids’ school hallway. It was just the two of us. I said “Hey” and he said “Hey” and smiled a sheepish grin. It was the night of a Christmas pageant and he was wearing a nightshirt and his trademark facial hair. I was instantly charmed and he wasn’t mean at all.

I know, I know. No photo, didn’t happen. But it did.

2 Likes

Vicious, nasty beasts. And yet creative and intelligent. Kind of like us I suppose.

2 Likes

The local high school football team here is also named the Wolverines. So I consider that cool.

1 Like

Came here for “Wolverines!”, left satisfied.

1 Like

We thought we saw a wolverine up in Kit Carson Pass a couple years ago. Much too close. The packs of pumas caught in a neighbor’s porch-cam are bothersome enough. And the black bear that mauls local trash cans. Hey, a neighborhood wolverine might keep the others away!

1 Like

I was a kid hiking in bear country and the responsible adult was explaining to me how bears weren’t dangerous in this area as long as you didn’t corner them. “Not like a wolverine,” he said, “a wolverine would just kill us. But don’t worry, nobody has seen a wolverine up here in a decade.” We crested the hill, and there it was, loping across the plateau.

FYI the Wolverine didn’t kill us, just kept loping across into the forest on the other side. (I’m pretty sure this was in Minnesota)

I would go to games just to yell WOLVERINES

1 Like

A population of only 300? I had no idea they were in so much trouble.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.