Woman accidentally threw out a $1 million lottery ticket, but it came back to her

Originally published at: Woman accidentally threw out a $1 million lottery ticket, but it came back to her | Boing Boing

9 Likes

That’s some good karma.

20 Likes

What a top guy Abhi Shah’s dad is. :sparkling_heart:

14 Likes

One evening, I was going through the tickets from the trash

as one does…

8 Likes

I hope she is a sharesy type of gal, she needs to take care of the shop keeper a tiny bit.

14 Likes

Waste not want not. Impressive that he remembered who bought the ticket. Maybe from security camera footage?

Impressive display of ethical integrity on the part of the shopkeeper. I would like to think I am that honest. I know I would feel pangs of guilt if I had kept the ticket. I don’t know I wouldn’t have kept the ticket. I hope I would do the right thing.

There is the notion of training your ethical muscles with daily decisions, so when a big one comes up you are ready and have the skills and ability to make the right choice.

Side note: I work daily with people who find ways to rationalize petty theft and larceny up to and sometimes including violent crime. I know what happens when people are not trained in the use of ethical reasoning.

7 Likes

They should make a TV show about this and cast Jason Lee as the lead.

Weird, a simliar story happened just a couple months back here in Brazil. There was an unclaimed lottery winner and the deadline to get the money was about to expire. It took a lot of work to finally find the woman.

7 Likes

I’ll second that. People can be truly amazing.

1 Like

Massachusetts_1200x1200

1 Like

Don’t shopkeepers get a “bonus” or commission from selling a winning lottery ticket? And I would think sellers of lottery tickets themselves are not able reap the rewards of a winning ticket (to prevent fraud?). So maybe there may be something in it for them besides altruism?

edit: yes they do

https://playport.com/do-stores-make-money-selling-lottery-tickets-how-much/

State Commission on Ticket Sales Winning Ticket Bonuses
Massachusetts 5% on sales 1% on prizes claimed

2 Likes

the shopkeeper is going to get some compensation by the lottery company,
but she should give him $20k right off the top.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.