Woman finds rare Picasso plates at thrift store, cashes in

Gaudi’s architectural work is very idiosyncratic and wonderful. :heart_eyes:

16 Likes

Consider it a gift :grin:

ETA: also, when stood in front of Guernica a Nazi asked Picasso, “Did you do this?”
“No,” he replied, “You did.”

14 Likes

Utterly bonkers, but beautiful.

5 Likes

Thank you!

Note: I finally had to look up ETA thanks to your reply. Every time I saw it, I got this weird “estimated time of arrival?” thought. Now I know it can mean “Edited to Add” and I’m a little smarter today. Go me! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Every day is a school day - whether you like it or not :grin:

7 Likes

Every Day is a School Day, Every Afternoon is Detention.

5 Likes

They put that on my permanent record after all?

unbreakable kimmy schmidt ugh GIF

5 Likes

Obligatory Violent Femmes reference.

Even more awesome live. VIOLENT FEMMES-Kiss Off - YouTube

6 Likes

Unanswered questions:

“Ooo, these are pretty. Do you have any more in back?”

2 Likes

The buyers own some fancy-ass home goods store in Brooklyn and said that the blemishes didn’t matter because the buyers almost always have them reupholstered. There are actually a few online sites that have reupholstered sets that go for about 2-3x what I got, but they lowballed me, so I sold them privately. There are some very rich people around here who will do anything to get a piece of designer furniture, even if it’s something hideous (imo) and uncomfortable like a Corbusier couch or an Eames recliner like @euansmith posted. I actually had an Eames knock-off and have to admit it is the most comfortable chair I’ve ever owned. My “get rich” list has an Eames at the top just for pure comfort.

That’s what I really loved about them. They’re basically a single, giant chunk of furniture foam covered in a little batting and corduroy (there are also leather ones). They were perfect for the kids rooms because they could do all their crazy shit on them and not bust out a tooth on a hard part. And, of course, the aforementioned ability to compress them into the back of a Subaru. :wink: I took a perverse glee in treating them like any other piece of furniture while others drooled over them.

8 Likes

How do they give back support?

1 Like

They don’t, really. If I foolishly sat on one for too long I felt it. Absolutely perfect for kids, though. Funnily, my daughter asked about them just an hour or so after I posted that yesterday and asked if I miss them.

1 Like

My daughter loves thrift stores and drags me to them. I have fantasies about finding stuff like this but of course I haven’t so far. Minor treasures I’ve found so far include a wooden nutcracker stamped “Made in East Germany” ($4), a large Staffordshire-ware Brown Betty teapot ($6), a functioning Canon 50mm EF lens ($4.50) to replace my old one that was mysteriously broken, and a rather nice copy of “Introducing the Beatles” ($4).

What I’ve realized is you have to spend a lot of time in thrift stores to find stuff that’s not crap. Just finding the one Beatles record meant digging through thousands of thrift store records — you know the ones I mean: Lawrence Welk, Mantovani, organ music, German oompah bands, Ferrante and Teicher (whoever they are), 101 Strings, etc. I guess the unintended side effect of this is that I’m not an expert in “old people music.”

I promise if I do find something valuable I will share it here! (But don’t hold your breath.)

5 Likes

Yeah, in Brooklyn anyway, you also have to compete with all the boutique “vintage” stores raiding the thrift shops on a regular basis…

2 Likes

Yeah, that. Also it seems like some thrift stores think they know what they have and price accordingly. For example, I’ve run across some nothing-special Lodge cast iron skillets at Goodwill that were priced the same as they cost at the hardware store or Target.

2 Likes

I don’t think the proprietor knew what the jumble of equipment was, and maybe assumed it was obsolete computer junk. I would have paid the 20 bucks just for the DOD Analog Delay 680 that was nestled in there.

We are regular customers of that thrift shop now and happily overpaying for other used stuff we might not need.

2 Likes
1 Like

And for those of us who spent a lot of time thrifring vinyl it would be about finding the “good” records these people made. Like James Last’s Voodoo Dance Party for example, or the psych rock 101 strings record, or the more out there prepared piano from F&T. (It’s actually Animated Egg with the strings dubbed on later).

Beatles records? There were lots of those. I used to give away old rock records I thrifted ten to the pound as it wasn’t what I was interested in but I knew people who were.

My first online community was the Exotica Mailing list where I learnt a lot about music. Just this morning someone posted on Mastodon a Manuel and the music of the mountains track (awful) pointing out it was Geoff Love’s alias (awful stuff) but I really wanted to post links to his Mandingo alias (Geoff Love does Afro rock in the early 70s!)

Which like much of the above I do have on vinyl upstairs. No F&T, their records barely made it to Europe. US was always the best for thrifting. We were so envious of the scores.

2 Likes

I will keep an eye out for stuff like that! After a while, you get easy listening vinyl fatigue, especially when so many thrift stores have exactly the same records on their shelves. I’d love to find old rock records of any kind.

1 Like

I’d love to go back in time and I’d pick up stacks of records that I passed over and give them to friends who want them. They cost stupid now and they were giving them away.

Mind you I’d also probably buy a load that I’d love now for me!

1 Like