Woman knits stellar map as a giant tapestry

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/06/woman-knits-stellar-map-as-a-g.html

15 Likes

This is definitely a wonderful thing :grey_exclamation:

14 Likes

That’s the type of thing I could get behind seeing in the BB store.
eta: I wonder if you could get it customized for a birthdate? I’d pay good money for that!

5 Likes

That’s beautiful. A local woman does something similar with quilts, though not nearly as large or elaborate. Solar system, individual constellations, etc. They’re beyond my budget, but they’re gorgeous and she deserves every penny.

2 Likes

At $15 an hour the post says she worked ‘over 100 hours’ so $1500. 15kg of wool is about 75 skeins of yarn at a ballpark average of $5 per skein that’s another 375. If you want good yarn it may be more than double that. Total cost, you’re looking at something like $2000, give or take a few hundred dollars.

7 Likes

Time and materials for that beast. Yes you will. The text says 100+ hours and at say $15/hr to make it worth the time.

ETA what @LongStrider said.

1 Like

Some may say, “Why?”

I say, “Why not.”

2 Likes

Ah, well; out of my ballpark. it was a labor of love; I wonder how much customization she had to do to the knitting machine to make it produce this.

1 Like

Yes, but can i have one though?

2 Likes

Because: Fuck Yeah, Science!

5 Likes

My question was rhetorical, hat-wearing, monocled, mustachioed panda… person.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Okay, so what are the date and time she encoded into the tapestry?

She could make custom versions (for a price, of course) with any date and time the buyer specifies.

Seems to me, that was over 100 hours of time the machine took to make the piece, but she could have spent a lot more (or less) time setting it up. One assumes that with that work done, it’s marginally more cost (besides raw materials) to make more pieces. Waiting for the Kickstarter campaign…

2 Likes

Naturally, but i never miss an opportunity to say Fuck yeah, Science!

4 Likes

That would be a rock bottom minimum. I’d start a bid at $10,000 and even that would be low.

1 Like

It look so beautiful, she has a talent and passion on what she do.

I actually work at the same company as her - it was knitted on the machine as several approximately-metre-wide strips and then hand-finished, and the hand-finishing took nearly as long as the machine. I don’t think she’s planning a repeat act anytime soon :slight_smile:

It was for 6pm UK time on Aug 31, which is when/where the tapestry was officially unveiled at emfcamp.

10 Likes

I finally figured out why it looked familiar: I had that same star map on my wall for years, having bought it from Astronomy Magazine. The only difference is that it didn’t include the planets (although it did have the ecliptic).

Redoing the knitting needn’t be completely reinventing the wheel, depending how many strips she needed to make it. The strips that didn’t have the ecliptic could be re’print’ed; the only thing that might have to change is the strips that controlled where the planets fell. If the buyer was okay with keeping the planets where they were on the original, even that wouldn’t need to be reprogrammed.

2 Likes

As you’ve so clearly demonstrated above!

I won’t be the one to deny you some fun… something we’re short of these days, it seems.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

knit! not knot. :wink:

2 Likes

Who’s there?

3 Likes