Woman receives her ID card with photo of an empty chair

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/12/woman-receives-her-id-card-wit.html

9 Likes

Alternate explanation:

32 Likes

Will Clint Eastwood give her a good talking to?

40 Likes

Another possibility:

Soon, all will know my name! Ch…‽ … $*¡#!

Image source: Fandom.com, The Chair or Chairface Chippendal The Tick cartoon, 1994, character originally from the Tick, comic c. 1986

Edited to add source attribution, formatting and a little text.

23 Likes

If that’s what I got, I would do my best to keep the empty chair version. What are people going to do? It’s a legit license. (I mean, sure, there’s an impersonation problem, but that’s true so long as that ID exists, so if anything, you’re better off having it, rather than replacing it.)

14 Likes

Completely aside - what’s with the “NOT FOR FEDERAL IDENTIFICATION” phrase? Is that some anti-government political thing in Tennessee or just that the state has been too slow on meeting the requirements for the REAL ID Act?

4 Likes

Wait, why did Tennessee issue an ID for Trump, then accidentally send it to this woman?

1 Like

I’ve seen access control test pics that are stranger…

1 Like

https://www.tn.gov/tnrealid/what-is-real-id.html

basically, you need special papers to fly in the us starting next year.

[ edit: manual one boxing ]

rid1
rid2

[ edit2: ] presumably, once it’s in place, you’ll start to need it for interstate buses and trains, and slowly everything else that involves the federal government. not something either democrats or republicans should have supported.

21 Likes

Yep. I’d say I lost it and get a duplicate

6 Likes

Or perhaps

Source: Image from Nosferatu, “ Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens, movie 1922, see/watch at Archive.org, image found at the BFI (British Film Institute)

It has long been debated. Depending on how the picture was taken, was a mirror used, sunlight, etc… a vampire may or may not show up when a picture is taken, though given the number of films about vampires, see J. Gordon Melton’s The Vampire Book: The Encyclopedia of the Undead and the documentary Shadow Of The Vampire, c1921 or 2000 (proving both that vampires can be photographed under the right conditions and that John Malkovich and Willem Defoe are likely undead actors).

16 Likes

Wait, so masks are an attack on freedom but Republicans are cool with this?

7 Likes

I’m confused. Unless there is something on the back that is different (or an embedded chip, IDK) the only feature seems to be replacing the gold star inna circle with “NOT FOR FEDERAL IDENTIFICATION”.

4 Likes

Anything that gives cops another thing to “papers, please!” about gives them a stiffy.

7 Likes

I think I read that it has to do with the security standards the state has to meet in order to produce and issue a “RealID” as compared to a standard driver’s license or id card. Also, the required documentation that must be produced by the applicant to establish proof of residency, social security number and birth are more stringent. Smol gubament in action.

13 Likes

Joe, Nancy, and whoever the new Senate Majority Leader will be, please make repealing this a priority. Because this is “papers, please!” kinda BS.

3 Likes

I wish they would stop using the term customer to refer to citizens. The state DMV is not a business; they don’t have customers. It’s a government service, and they serve citizens.

16 Likes

Here in Minnesota there are both public and private licensing locations. I’m not sure if it’s on a county basis or something else. When I lived in Dakota county the closest place was privately operated. I live in Hennepin county now and all the ones near me are county or city operated. So, YMMV depending on where you live. If customer is the correct term for privately run places then it may be correct in this case.

2 Likes

Third possibility…

8 Likes

“People recognise my chair” :slight_smile:

9 Likes