Woman returns from vacation to find Atlanta house demolished

How would I know it? Did they say “the house was vacant because x”? Because that wasn’t in either of the reports I read a week ago. Is there an x? A valid reason other than landowner’s greed and entitlement?

Because everybody lives in that city right now. Landowners are engaged in a class war.

Always have been.

I truly don’t mean this in a “not all landlords” way, but I’ve gotta say, sometimes the anti-landlord, anti-landowner sentiment really bugs me in its starkness.
I bought an old farmhouse over 10 years ago and have been living in it and fixing it up ever since. I feel secure in saying this house would’ve been torn down by now if not for me, instead it’s rewired, newly insulated, etc., etc. giving it at least another 50 years.
It was already split into a 2 unit building, but I haven’t yet been able to rent out the other space because it’s fucking hard to fix old homes.
But whenever I do, I don’t feel like that makes me a monster for giving people a place to rent.
And as a landowner, I don’t feel like I’m involved in a class war. I’m just doing my best.

6 Likes

The farm we bought had a second house we’ve fixed up to rent. I try to remind myself that the “all landlords are bastards” talk is likely directed at the corporate landholder types and, like EVERY SINGLE ABSOLUTE EVER (with the exception of this one of course) is inherently inaccurate. But yeah, I’m a landlord now and am far from an oligarch.

2 Likes

As you say, you don’t know why the house was vacant so why not err on the side of sympathy to the homeowners instead of assuming they were greedy, entitled assholes?

In any case, now no one can live in that house so it’s not like the illegal and unauthorized demolition was some kind of win for the little guy.

3 Likes

I See Reaction GIF by KreativCopy

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.