Woman with one hand unboxes her new 3D-printed prosthetic arm

Originally published at: Woman with one hand unboxes her new 3D-printed prosthetic arm | Boing Boing

11 Likes

It’s a common complaint that we didn’t get the joyous future we were promised by optimistic SF. But, as we see here, sometimes we do.

24 Likes

This is a TRULY WONDERFUL THING!

17 Likes

normally i don’t care for unboxing videos, but this is a special case. i hope it makes her very happy. it’s a life-changing thing.

13 Likes

It’s exciting to see this field of invention being pursued by entities other than the old-line prosthetic makers. I’m sure this isn’t as durable as an Ossur arm, but it’s way more interesting for further development.

8 Likes

Awww, that was truly lovely to watch.

8 Likes

Sometimes, like this moment - these are the days of miracles and wonder

(bonus points if you get the song reference)

now I gotta get another hankie

4 Likes

Medicine is magical and magical is art :notes:

5 Likes

5 Likes

That was pretty cool.

Just by coincidence, I listened to a podcast recently talking about prosthetics and what I hadn’t realised previously that the limitations are more in the software than in the hardware. The prosthetics are programmed with a limited range of movements and trying to do a set of movements can be difficult/impossible to link together. Also battery life, heat from the motors etc can impact how much it is used.

It will be interesting to see what her experiences are after 6 months and how much she uses the limb and how often she goes back to a ‘dumb’ limb. The nice thing is that software can be updated and hopefully it continues to improve her life.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.