Women are the backbone of the Star Trek fandom

The only power people like this have is the power you and I give them.

That doesn’t work for trollies on the internet and it doesn’t work for fools. Active removal from the forum does. Those are good places to discuss Trek.

1 Like

Which is hilarious… cuz those boobs were 80% padding…

I’m hoping like hell the new Trek series runners will catapult anyone who brings up the word “catsuit” out of the writers room because so far all it’s done is undermine good characters.

6 Likes

sooo … men are the front-bone then? :wink:

7 Likes

12 Likes

No, unless they do offline stuff they have no power over you that you don’t give them.

If they say something you don’t like you first observe if it is true. If it is true then why does it bother you? If it’s untrue then disregard it as nonsense.

You kids today want to get rid of all bullying. I think it’s great to get rid of physical bullying, but before you go and try to prevent every expression of hostility from existing I want you to consider that if Twitter had existed a few dacedes ago Mark David Chapman could have just called John Lennon a “Homo” online and he’d still be alive today.

Thank you, thank you very much.

oh my god I really want to know what this was. If it was really mean I will give you my private email and you can send it to me. I promise I cannot be offended or hurt by words.

I promise I cannot be offended or hurt by words.

We’re done conversing.

2 Likes

you’re a sick genius. Not telling me is really the most effective way to get back at me for whatever. Not kidding.

Not telling me is really the most effective way to get back at me for whatever.

Words have power. Who knew?

2 Likes

Having read the article, I’m not sure how the headline holds up. It definitely supports the idea that many of the key people involved were women and that it was much more diverse than people might think, but it seems more like “gender mattered a lot less in Star Trek fandom than elsewhere”.

For her part, Bjo Trimble became immediately known as “The Woman Who Saved Star Trek,” although she does prefer to share the credit with her husband, John. “All the news at that time was about Women’s Lib and 'the little housewife speaking up,’ so the news media had little interest in a businessman,” she said. “Reporters focused on me instead of John. To my sorrow, John has seldom gotten even the fan credit he so well deserves for his part in making the ‘Star Trek’ we know now a reality for all of fandom.”

This may seem like nitpicking, but I’d say it’s actually more interesting than women dominating - men and women worked together and shared a passion for Star Trek, and the TV series and fan culture was adapted to appeal to both men and women. Women weren’t in a group on their own being the backbone; the backbone was pretty inclusive. The Committee seems to be just over half women, and was the brainchild of two women:

“It redefined the classic nerd to be much more inclusive. There were more women involved,” Stuart C. Hellinger, one of the organizers of the first ever fan-led “Star Trek” conventions, told Revelist. “The entire show was diverse in many ways, including the people that worked on the show. You had women writers and women story editors, and that wasn’t as common back then. A lot of different areas were opened up because of Gene [Roddenberry]’s vision, and a lot of the fannish community took that to heart, which is a very, very good thing.”

The quintessential Star Trek fan, writer or organiser was not a man or a woman; they could be anyone. And that’s pretty cool.

3 Likes

And the guy who shot up that nightclub in Florida could have simply posted some homophobic pro-ISIS rants on Facebook instead of actually committing an act of mass murder!

Oh wait, he did both. Thesis invalidated.

5 Likes

Next Gen

1 Like

I will admit TNG does make for epic memes.

2 Likes

77.7%. That’s why they called her Seven of Nine, after all :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.