Wonderful profile of Anita Sarkeesian, the feminist games critic who made an army of shitty manbabies very, very upset

The thing is, I saw similar attitudes with users of early adopters of bloody spreadsheets and word processors and sometimes personal computers in the 1980s. Booth babes and sexist magazine ads for office software were used to market these products, too, just not to the same degree that video games have taken it.

An adolescent boy’s club mentality has been in place in software development for a long time, games or not. A famous example you’re probably familiar with:

I can’t agree that video games are more dangerous in this context than movies or TV are. The vitriol aimed at Leslie Jones in regard to the 2016 Ghostbusters remake was as bad as that aimed at Sarkeesian, and often came from the same people.

The problem is not primarily with the difference in the storytelling mediums but with similarities in the industry/industry sector cultures and business practises (and, as noted above, similarities in their chosen core consumer base*). That’s not something that can be regulated away in terms of content, but rather has to be (and slowly is being) addressed through more inclusivity and participation and representation in the coding profession by women, PoC, and LGBTQ people.

[* I might as well spell this out: socially awkward males who haven’t yet or never outgrew their adolescent insecurities about women and masculinity]

11 Likes