Wood bicycles customized to a rider's body

Al dente. VERY al dente.

2 Likes

I think you got a really good point here.

I agree, and if you want to reduce your ecological impact just buy a second hand bike.

1 Like

the stays get a bit noodly during climbs.

3 Likes

Flexural analysis may prove the noodly concept.

1 Like

You see, the big difference I see between wooden sailboat masts and wooden bicycles (aside from scale and market) is that wooden sailboat masts have been a thing for over a thousand years. There’s prior art, and the evolution of the sailboat over several centuries was based on the limitations and capabilities of a wooden mast.

While the velocipede is nearly two hundred years old, the modern (in a generous sense) safety bicycle wasn’t around until the 1880’s or so, when metal tubing and materials were available and in use. Trying to wedge a wooden frame into the evolution of a device almost 200 years later is going to be pretty hard.

2 Likes

$3,500

Pretty pricey given that it would probably last me two or three bike rides. I’m pretty hard on bikes and the frame is the only bit I’ve never managed to break. Yet.

"I’d grab one of these bikes myself, if the price weren’t in the neighborhood of $3,500. Yowza. "

Anyone other than me recall the earliest days of modern computer fabrication when it was touted that we’d all be able to order customized goods for the price of standard goods as the computer would make it all more affordable since stuff had to be cut etc anyway and the computer doesn’t care if each item is slightly different?

2 Likes

I am talking about lightweight racing masts, which were mostly developed in the same era that bicycles were. The use might be somewhat different, but the basic types of stress that a spar undergoes are still tension, compression, torsion, and bending. If the expected range of forces are known, a spar can be constructed of whatever material of a strength to withstand those forces by whatever safety factor is desired. It all comes down to a math problem.

But it would be a vanity project. It would never compare favorably to an aluminum frame in terms of weight, strength, or even sustainability.

1 Like

Is there anything wrong with getting one just because it’s unique?

Whimsy is a perfectly good reason to do things, if you have the means and wherewithal.

The mob has spoken. I am this close to calling the cops on you. The bicycle cops.

So, this is off the subject, but does anyone else find that name weird? I was never of the impression that kryptonite was an especially strong material. In fact, in some depictions it seems very brittle. It’s main property is to make something normally very strong very weak, which is maybe not what you want out of a lock?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.