Wooden Game Boy made with CNC

Originally published at: Wooden Game Boy made with CNC | Boing Boing

4 Likes

SC__CNC machine__400x300

And it’s “Sophisticated Cat”.

10 Likes

Re: CNC machine

Always let your conscience be your guide!

jiminy cricket GIF

4 Likes

This reminds me of the Sandbenders artisans from one of William Gibson’s books (Virtual Light, I think). They would make these beautiful enclosures for otherwise utilitarian tech.

3 Likes

I own one. I bought a reasonably priced entry-level CNC mill, now I wish I spent triple on it and got the prosumer model. I use it constantly. My wife needs a kitchen gadget stand? Scan the bottom on a scanner and import the shape. Cut it out of wood, and there’s the base.

Stupid signs, planter boxes, video game controllers, kitchen cabinets or bong stands, I’ve made it. It took me about a year of learning curve before I was really comfortable with the machine or the methods. Now I can rock out a box in an hour or so, once I’ve cut the stock.

The real trick with the cnc machine is that you’ll only get a wood finish from it. Obvious, I know. The last few months of my free time have been learning how to finish wood surfaces. I’ve been slopping gesso around and learning to booth paint to get some sort of finish that isn’t wood grain. More learning.

I thought I’d get a CNC mill and make video game stuff. I redid my kitchen cabinets instead. When my wife told me I should make a controller shaped like a guitar, I said, “I’m more interested in making an actual guitar”. The expansion is real.

9 Likes

A direct link to the YouTube video about the Game Boy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rECMivhOat4

1 Like

Meh. I would have been way, way, WAY more impressed if he had carved it by hand.

But, hey, an expensive machine and some software sure shows up those ol’ timers with real skills, huh?

Some might say ‘different skills’.

3 Likes

… still working on a C+C Music Factory joke :thinking:

6 Likes

Things that make you go hmmmm.

8 Likes

Heidi Gardner Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

4 Likes

craiyon_223653_wooden_pinocchio_playing_tennis

1 Like

(Imagining a fleshy Game Boy console)

1 Like

Cronenboy?

… long live the new something :thinking:

i can’t help but think if they’ve managed a c&c gameboy, maybe they can do red alert next

Cncra-win-cover

You’ve got the Power.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.