Woodpecker, perhaps tired of being ignored, shows plastic slide who's boss

I’ve read that vultures are attracted visually, not by scent. I thought it might be interesting to see what happens if I put a big printout of a dead animal on the lawn, but haven’t tried it yet.

4 Likes
1 Like

Mmm I am not sure. You would think it might be a combination of both. The snake looked pretty fresh, though. In fact, I think I remember seeing it on my way in.

Queue the Lion King.

the lion king GIF by Walt Disney Records

Even played at 1/4 speed, it sounds impressively fast

1 Like

he’s gonna wear out his pecker

1 Like

Was about to say that, The WW2 version of the MG-3, the MG-42 to be exact.

2 Likes

Yup, definitely a metal slide. Looks like galvanized steel with some wear and tear.

Also, woodpeckers are widely known to find really loud things to peck in mating season. Where I used to live, old metal streetlights along forest trails were a favourite of theirs - impressive resonance in those metal boxes, and them being high up of course makes the sound spread even further.

6 Likes

I can’t find it now, but I’m very sure that Fred Flintstone would drill rocks out of the mine using a woodpecker jackhammer and it sounded just like this.

2 Likes

I am REALLY hoping the guys in the park behind my house finally get laid, they have found the metal lamp-shade thingies on the street lights and send messages back and forth across the park all morning and evening, its atrocious. But I for one am glad that the exertions I have to go through to get laid do not involve smashing my face repeatedly into sheetmetal. Well, there was a time in my youth, but that didn’t end well.

2 Likes

Thinking of an getting a banging ornithological rave band together and I’d have Woodpecker as drum machine and Lyre Bird as my main sampler:

2 Likes

granted it isn’t my house, but I’m endlessly amused in the morning when I hear one going around hitting different parts of the house I live in.

Oh, and a horned owl (I think) has been hanging out in my neighborhood! and there’s a quail family for the second year in a row, tied for my favorite with the owl(s).

My folks had to take the satellite dish off of their house because the woodpeckers LOVED it-- they live in an old post and beam house and you could feel the vibrations coming up through the floor when the birds were going to town (and they would peck at it from morning to night). They still peck at the house but it’s not quite as amplified now.

1 Like

Dear Rob, THANK YOU for italicising the scientific name.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.