Work ethic and the military industrial complex

Jinx. I owes ya a beverage of yer cherce.

10 Likes

Costa Rica! Which is why their educational and medical systems are so good, because they’re not pouring government funds into military stuff.

11 Likes

Yep. At this, point as @Nightflyer argued, ALL of us are certainly “complicit” in the capitalist system… :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes

Costa Rica doesn’t have a military per se but it did effectively grant traditional military powers like national security and border patrol to a national police force, which may not be a model appropriate for a nation like the United States. Frankly the degree of overlap between police and military in our country scares me already.

9 Likes

Guess they can’t get jobs at Walmart, then , either. Big W was one of the retailers fully on board with the pharma industry push for frivilous opioid prescription.

11 Likes

What about the poors who are being blown to bits by the military being joined? Why is one set of poors more deservings of respect and benefits for wanting additional resources?

When you work for say, Wal Mart, you don’t either directly kill people or work to upkeep that supply chain of killing these poors who apparently, some happy mutants think are less deserving of life than the ones here.

2 Likes

About that…

12 Likes

It’s okay, those poors don’t matter. /s

8 Likes

I’m assuming that the implications of the fact that " feel entitled to more than their intellect and/or work ethic brings them" is apparently all about whether the military pays too well, rather than people who choose BAE Systems and General Dynamics as healthy parts of a balanced 401(k); might be safely described as “problematic” or at least “offering some majestic equality in impact analysis”?

1 Like

7 Likes

Nobody said one set is more worthy of respect than another; I’m not interested in making tier lists of suffering today, or frankly, ever. The targets of the military industrial complex are victims, and the young people who enlist to be used as cannon fodder by the rich and powerful are also victims. Both groups suffer and die at the whims of the military-industrial complex.

As others here have said, working for Wal-Mart (or any other capitalist entity) involves being part of chains of exploitation, whether directly or indirectly. The mass production of goods to sell requires a voracious use of resources, and that causes suffering too, through sweatshop labor and other abuses. Just as there is no ethical consumption under capitalism, there isn’t much (if any) ethical employment under capitalism either. It is a systemic issue, and as such I choose to blame the system, not its unwilling victims.

I tried to make it clear that I was reacting to your words and not you, under the good-faith policy of “attack the argument, not the poster.” If I failed in that attempt, I apologize for my error. I’d appreciate it if you’d extend the rest of us in this discussion the same courtesy. Not a single person here has said that anyone “deserves to die” or is “less deserving of life” than another person, and I resent that accusation.

14 Likes

Well Done Reaction GIF

9 Likes

Maybe i missed where this was said, as I would certainly have flagged it if i had. Would you direct me to where this flagging should occur? Unless, of course, it did not do so…

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.