Workers rights and unions

Workers in publishing having been voting with their feet. This contains interesting points about the industry, working conditions, and exploitation:

10 Likes

Union presses mayor to force Uber to pay app drivers at least min wage

Gig workers have urged London Mayor Sadiq Khan to force Uber to pay drivers at least minimum wage as the ride-hailing biz seeks to renew its license to operate in the British capital.

The App Drivers and Couriers Union (ADCU) want Mayor Khan to enforce a UK Supreme Court finding that Uber drivers are employees and not self-employed contractors.

[ā€¦]

12 Likes
7 Likes

Notice where this sign was made (bottom right).

4 Likes

Sad to say, plenty of people would not see this as the ā€œjokeā€ it was no doubt intended to be, but as a guide for how to run their business. Not that it was a very good ā€œjokeā€ to begin with.

8 Likes

Iā€™m putting this here because it shows how thinking as a collective and some mild sacrifice can lead to a beneficial payoff for almost all.

9 Likes

17 Likes
12 Likes
14 Likes
11 Likes

Besides infuriating, it doesnā€™t even make sense!

How many of Applebeeā€™s customers, do you suppose, live paycheck to paycheck (and I donā€™t mean that as any sort of classist dig - more people are in that situation than should be).

So their customersā€™ income will be reduced. Applebees is, I imagine, more reliant on long-distance trucking than many ā€œmom and popā€ shops. Theyā€™re still competing with the same labor poolā€¦whereā€™s the mention of what sets Applebeeā€™s apart, that magically they wonā€™t be affected by the same factors the author asserts will harm their competition?

ā€œHave the culture and environment that will attract peopleā€¦ā€ Like maybe offering a living wage?

Idiot. ETA: And sycophantic idiots replying. Thatā€™s all that I need to know about Applebeeā€™s management culture and those people in it.

15 Likes

Clearly, Wayne Pankratz is the smartest guy in the room.

4 Likes
10 Likes

Exceptionally bad service?

The ones around here all closed.

2 Likes

ā€œ For the full year, adjusted profits leaped 25% ā€” the largest gain since 1976.ā€

Also related to the Biden billionaire tax.

12 Likes

Also known as, ā€œinflationā€ my ass.

9 Likes

This is a regular reminder that raising taxes on billionaires lowers inflation.

12 Likes
11 Likes

ā€œ The difference is that this year there was an active boycott of the hotel, and the stars attending Jay-Zā€™s party did so by crossing a picket line.ā€

9 Likes
17 Likes