Workers rights and unions

I wish I could say this is surprising…

9 Likes
13 Likes

Wow.

And thanks for posting that Bad Advice link. That’s a new one for me.

4 Likes
11 Likes

Another great report from John Oliver:

It left me wondering about strategies that have been successful in countering these corporate tactics.

10 Likes
21 Likes

No Way Wow GIF

If only this news would spread like a conspiracy theory on social media…

15 Likes

You would think that some MBAs would point out that the statistics show unionized companies outperform non-unionized ones, but after all, it’s not about what’s right for the company. It’s politics, and a great example where the wealthy work against their own self-interest just to spite.

17 Likes

Right? Who would have thunk that workers want to get a living wage and be treated fairly!

Cbs Reaction GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

12 Likes

Shock What GIF

I just cannot express how shocking this revelation is!!

11 Likes
9 Likes
10 Likes

10% increase in pay is not too shabby.

15 Likes

Our local paper reported that an area school superintendent is getting certified to drive the bus to try to help fill the gaps. This workforce shit is not going away anytime soon.
I’m very, very glad workers are finally feeling somewhat empowered, but I’m also stressed about what this is going to mean for us all in the coming months. :grimacing:

10 Likes

They also got some important concessions on healthcare and more equitable distribution of bonuses.

10 Likes

True. But um, couldn’t bus driver pay just go up, so more people wanna do it?

6 Likes

Totally! A lot of the driver shortages around here really come from when they split the drivers out of the “regular” school staff and contracted it out, so not even related to the current “great resignation,” or at least not solely.
Better pay, better benefits, would definitely help.
I meant more overall. In my industry we’re getting all kinds of funding from the BBB bill, but having a hard time even finding people to attend training to see if they want to do the work. We have all kinds of hurdles, (it’s meaningful work, but can be dirty and really hard and sometimes kind of scary*), it’s just stressful all around. Sometimes I feel like that scene in Pretty Woman where she’s at the store with all the money and no one will help her. Like, “here, I can give you all this! Please help!”

*(I’m really selling it, aren’t I? Lol.)

ETA: tl;dr version: I guess what I’m trying to get at, clumsily, is that we’ve let the working conditions and career pathway pipelines deteriorate so far, that fixing them is going to disrupt all our lives. It’s clearly worth it, but it’s going to be stressful in ways we likely don’t even realize yet.

10 Likes

19 Likes
14 Likes
7 Likes