Workers rights and unions

But we all know that about C-suite execs, especially in tech. They show up when they want, travel where and when they please (on the company dime) and only ever really feel accountability to institutional investors.

6 Likes
8 Likes
1 Like

Tim Scott shoukd absolutely be fired for running for president instead of doing his job as a senator.

5 Likes
1 Like

Do we think that AI could finish up Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring
only mostly kidding
 :grimacing:

Seriously, good on them!

3 Likes

Brandon Sanderson could!

ETA:

Sanderson is prolific. He usually has 3-4 series going at once and his website shows progress bars to keep his fans updated on his projects.

4 Likes

This is exactly why I post “cluttered” as opposed to “clean” images of my artwork on social media – because there are just so many folks out there waiting to pounce and “scrape” the image, to use it for NFT’s or whatnot. It’s not really my own art that’s in demand, but one can never be too careful.

5 Likes

The more I’m thinking about this intersection between art and commerce, and how AI fits into this stuff, the more I’m thinking it’s gonna show us just how unhelpful the modern copyright regime is
 The traditional culture industry corporations are going to get screwed over like they’ve been screwing over the talent
 Maybe this is what it’s going to take to get a more sane copyright regime in place

I hope that if George can’t finish the series, someone does that
 but I think that will depend on what he wants, too. But let’s hope George has a nice, long, productive life to finish ASOIAF and many other wonderful books!

Red Carpet Emmys 2015 GIF by HBO PR

4 Likes

The very same workers who unionized in order to exercise solidarity with one another and become an opposition force to capital are drawn into becoming market participants, and immediately find that their own incentives have become aligned with the most cutthroat vulture capitalists—the precise sort of inhuman owners that are likely to spark a union drive, as a matter of fact. You gotta hand it to capitalism on this one. This is pretty fucking nifty.

3 Likes
5 Likes

10 Likes
1 Like
5 Likes

Cancel culture.

3 Likes

On a major corporate-news outlet’s front page right now:

Dear Consumers,

Striking workers are hurting you.

Love,

CNN

4 Likes

That common construction - that there is only one side to a strike - is just so common in (shitty) journalism.

The idea that the companies where workers are striking could end the strike by negotiating a contract in good faith at any time just doesn’t even get a mention.

It was the same construction with BLM protests. The city could have ended many of the protests quickly by sitting down with protesters in good faith to restructure policing. But the concept isn’t even considered.

11 Likes

Every time I hear “the union forced us to pay the workers too much and now the city can’t afford a new playground!” I try to remind the person that there were two sides to the negotiations. My mom was head negotiator for her teacher’s union for over 20 years and the school board knew better than to try that stunt here.

5 Likes

https://archive.ph/43zJI

9 Likes
5 Likes