Workers rights and unions

14 Likes
7 Likes
9 Likes

The only reason the tech taxis have taken market share from taxis is price. When that normalizes, taxis will naturally bounce back.

8 Likes

There is a huge community of disabled people who have come to rely on the cheaper option for transport. Will they force taxi prices down or stop going out as much?

1 Like

The NFL has said it expected annual payouts for the disability plan to reach $330 million last year.

The program grew out of the 2011 collective-bargaining agreement between the players and the union, and was hailed as a way to help ailing former players. A successful claim can lead to payments of $65,000 to $265,000, but plaintiffs lawyers say few retirees see the top amount.

6 Likes

I had to do some calculations with this just for a sense of scale. I know this number doesn’t mean much since there’s a whole bunch of past players, but that’s over $153K per active player. o_O

5 Likes

I shudder to think what kind of healthcare/quality of life issues the former players have to overcome, too:

8 Likes

Yes. It’s a barbaric, cruel sport that deserves to be bled out of existence by a flood of similar lawsuits. Which may yet happen. :crossed_fingers:

8 Likes
7 Likes

Additional information, links:

Labor watchdog wants SpaceX’s gag clauses to disintegrate like its exploding rockets

[…]
The complaint, filed Wednesday evening by an NLRB regional director for Seattle, says SpaceX requires its former workers to:
- Not disclose the terms of the severance agreement.
- Not disparage SpaceX, its officers, directors, employees, shareholders, or agents.
- Not to voluntarily assist any litigation against the company and if compelled to do so, to notify SpaceX.
Those requirements, depending on how they’re worded and the specific circumstances, are potential no-nos right now in the US.
[…]

Aka “The Free Speech NDA”

9 Likes
4 Likes

The effects of Finland’s ongoing political strike are starting to become evident on the shelves of the state alcohol monopoly Alko, according to a report by Helsingin Sanomat.

6 Likes

Lets Go Reaction GIF by Bounce

11 Likes
6 Likes
13 Likes
16 Likes

Hey why not, if it’s now fine for student athletes to do it.

5 Likes

Once again, the nonprofit sector has absolutely terrible labour relations:

6 Likes

:clap:

9 Likes