Workers rights and unions

A small northern Ontario town banned every single member of the Canadian Union of Public Employees from its town hall and two other public buildings amid a lengthy strike.

The township was forced to modify the trespass order on February 22 when CUPE pointed out it would compromise public safety by banning unionized emergency staff like paramedics from the public spaces.

D’OH!

8 Likes

More brook trout than brains, eh?

4 Likes

Seth Goldstein, legal counsel for Trader Joe’s United & the Amazon Labor Union (ALU), discusses a recent legal filing by Amazon, Trader Joe’s, and SpaceX that alleges that the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) is unconstitutional.

6 Likes

Any word yet on whether Starbuck’s will drop their challenge?

US Supreme Court to hear dispute over Starbucks firing pro-union workers” (Reuters; January 12, 2024) (wouldn’t onebox)

2 Likes

I found this website for Trader Joe’s United:

Some fundraising merch on there, itself printed* at a union shop. *(I’d wonder where & how the blank objects themselves are made, but I think that spilt milk has long since left the barn. Or, the millions of tiny granules have already left the extended-release capsule. Etc.)

From there I found this article:

HuffPost has a transcript of the NLRB proceedings in question, here.

7 Likes
3 Likes
7 Likes

A report on Fran Drescher and the SAG-AFTRA strike:

:fist:t4:

10 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes
7 Likes
9 Likes
2 Likes
9 Likes

Wait What Instinct GIF by CBS

8 Likes

Stand Up What GIF by 800 Pound Gorilla Media

6 Likes

When workers at its outlet store in Reno, Nevada, recently petitioned for a union election, the outdoor apparel and equipment brand Patagonia didn’t react like other big-name American companies often do.

There were no “captive audience” meetings and no pressure from management to reject the union effort, according to the United Food and Commercial Workers. The union says managers didn’t take a position on the vote and remained neutral during the process.

When the ballots were tallied on March 1, the employees had voted 9-5 in favorof joining UFCW Local 711, making it Patagonia’s first organized store in the country.

16 Likes
9 Likes

Intimidation 101: threat people with something they actually fear.

8 Likes

16 Likes