Workers rights and unions

The drive for fascism continues apace.

11 Likes

Well, if the teachers strike, the kids might just get a better education than the one mandated by the state of Florida.

2 Likes

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

Even where draconian bigoted laws restrict how teachers can teach, kids are still better off with an education than without one.

9 Likes

Ever heard of free schooling? I mean in the Summerhill sense, not the access to public schools sense of free.

Every alternative to public schooling drains resources and support from public schools.

I know it’s a kinda radical position, but I don’t think homeschooling or private schools should be an option, as they simply give priviledged families an out from supporting the public school system, leaving an underfunded system to whoever can’t afford the alternative. In this way, it’s a lot like healthcare.

10 Likes

Home schooling, Unschooling, Free schooling, whatever you call it, the problem is that it requires parents who are not working outside the home to make it work. And the oversight is minimal. I have kids whose parents proudly tell me that their kids complete their “school day” in 45 minutes and then can help around the house or whatever. Like this is a good thing. Education of the next generation is not a privilege to be reserved for the privileged. It is a human right that is required for the society to thrive. So, no, public school teachers are truly doing the work society needs them to do, at the cost of their own financial well being, I might add. And, increasingly, at the risk of their own health and safety.

16 Likes

I’ll join you on that stand.

Schools aren’t just where children go to learn things, they’re the means by which we create the future iteration of our society. It’s better for everyone if we all have a stake in the success of the public education system, and better for everyone that we don’t have a parallel system where the offspring of the rich network with one another, and never interact with anyone outside their bubble.

7 Likes

I get your point, and do agree… BUT, the problem with public schools right now (even some decently funded ones) is that they are often authoritarian in nature, in some cases in extreme ways. Just look at the school were Nex Benedict got killed. They might still be alive today if they had been able to go to a private school that actually gave a shit about them.

I’d prefer a system of public education based on smaller schools embedded in their communities, with good pay for teachers, based on less authoritarian principles than most public schools are right now… But I do agree that we’re fucking public school over, but lots of people are making the choice for private because they schools in their districts put their children in harms way.

10 Likes

That’s true, we opted for a small private school for my youngest many years ago. She is autistic, and at the time the only options in public school were regular classroom, no support or warehoused with the “sit in the corner and rock” kids. I don’t often make full use of the privileges i have, but i did then
It worked out, more or less. Certainly better than the other option. My point is just that, had i been less privileged, what would have become of her? Everyone should be able to get an appropriate education for their kids. Not just those with money and position.

11 Likes

I have friends who are very lucky, in that their son who is on the spectrum was able to get into a charter school geared towards supporting kids on the spectrum. And then his younger sister was able to get in there as well. Not everyone has those options…

But we sent our kid to a private school, in part because both my husband and I had bad experiences in our schools as teens. But we, like you guys, was privileged enough to be able to make that choice. It worked out well for her, since she’s a very introverted kid. She was able to pretty smoothly transition from a small private school, to the largest public university in the state with no problems, thanks in part to the way her school was able to help her navigate her introversion… I don’t think that would have happened in a public school.

So, I agree with @DukeTrout’s larger point about the importance of public school, we also have far too many public schools failing, and far too many kids at risk right now, without broad, sweeping reforms. I think maybe that everyone being forced to go to public schools would help, but that would take years to work out a better system…

I don’t know… there aren’t good answers.

8 Likes

100%. I’m talking as much about future state rather than current state. I think the myriad problems with public schools are the symptom, not the disease. The disease is the defunding of those public schools for the past 80 years.

10 Likes

We absolutely need a vigorous public education system, ideally one that would include a variety of educational models so that kids could learn in an environment that suited and supported them. (Which was the initial impetus for the charter school movement, as horrible as that has become.)
As it is, most kids will be ok if their school is closed for a strike for a month or so. Losing school lunch and/or breakfast will have a worse affect.

I think that’s a big problem, but I don’t think it’s the only problem. There is a major disagreement about what education should be about in this country, that’s driving some of this (I know you’re probably aware, but here we go)… the conservative view point is that it’s job training and teaching people how to behave properly (according to their very narrow of “proper”)… They certainly don’t want the “wrong” people to be getting “ideas” in their heads that they deserve more than their “betters” will allow them… it’s the whole “education for industrial production” model… But then there is the more progressive view (associated with people like Dewey, Montessori, etc) that education should be for moving things forward, for helping people find out who they are and what they’re good at, and creating active citizens who are engaged, educated, and creative… Until that debate works itself out, and we fully fund all our public schools and promote a good education for all, without any of the fascist, classist, racist, misogynistic nonsense, then no one should be forced to go to a public school…

6 Likes

It might be a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem, though. The best way to get conservatives on board with funding public schools and making them work better for the students is to force those conservatives to send their kids and grandkids to public schools. All of a sudden, there would be immediate support. Without that impetus, I don’t know how we get there.

7 Likes

Yeah, I have no easy answers, for sure.

5 Likes

Legislators shouldn’t get paid when they’re not on the House floor.

6 Likes
15 Likes

That second one is huge!

9 Likes

Thursday evening, the Austin, Texas City Council was set to consider and pass a resolution calling on Google to bargain with a union of YouTube Music workers who are based in the city. While one of the workers was speaking to thank the council, Google laid all of the workers off: “To be supported by the city of Austin and also our allies in the labor community gives us the motivation to keep this fight going,” Jack Benedict, a member of the Alphabet Workers Union was saying to the council.

One of his colleagues, Katie Marner, walked up to the pulpit: “Not to interrupt, but they just laid us all off,” she says. “They just laid us all off. Our jobs are ended today. Effective immediately.” A bell rings. “I’m sorry, your time has expired, but we’ll follow up on this,” Austin mayor Kirk Preston Watson says.

ETA: added blockquote

13 Likes

Second, they argue that NLRB proceedings violate the Seventh Amendment right to a trial by jury.

Great! That means they’re going after arbitration clauses, too, right? Right?

7 Likes