Workers rights and unions

16 Likes

More on Trader Joe’s (& Starbucks, Amazon, & SpaceX).

I saw this detail:

(Trader Joe’s, Starbucks and Amazon have not joined SpaceX’s lawsuit or filed litigation against the NLRB.)

Rohde, the Trader Joe’s spokesperson, said the company has not filed or joined any lawsuit that challenges the constitutionality of the NLRB’s administrative law judge system and does not “seek” to dismantle any aspect of the NLRB.

“We offered an affirmative defense,” she said. “This was an opportunity to preserve all of our legal rights under the law.”

That’s true. But if I’m not mistaken, they’ve all hired the Morgan Lewis law firm, so the money still flows to them & their efforts. (I’m wondering if the Post, being owned by Bezos, thinks they can make this easier to swallow)

I sent a comment to Trader Joe’s back in late Feb./early March when I found out about it, got an acknowledgement that they received it, & then bupkis ever since. (They did at least send a canned response when I complained about their advertisements on Rush Limbaugh’s show, years ago)

(Free link)

P.S.:

Now I can’t remember exactly where I read it (might be from the article in my post from a few days ago) but, no, they’re not. One hand is cooperating with the unions & the other is still pushing this. Betting on red and black, I guess…

9 Likes
5 Likes
7 Likes

Essential Submarine is my Bardcore Beatles cover band.

6 Likes

The labor department’s latest statistics indicate the number of children being employed illegally in the US has increased 88% since 2019

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

12 Likes
9 Likes
9 Likes

What are the penalties for not adhering to this?

Are they going to round up every employee and make them work?

6 Likes

I don’t know the Finnish legal system, but in the UK strikes were found to be illegal until Parliament legislated to make them legal - a factory owner sucessfully sued his striking staff for lost productivity.

3 Likes
6 Likes

An individual penalty payment of EUR 200 imposed on employees taking part in industrial action that has previously been found unlawful, regardless of the party responsible for organising the industrial action.

4 Likes

16 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes
10 Likes
6 Likes
7 Likes

May the debrief on this one be rapid, revelatory, and constructive.

Back to the drawing board…

3 Likes

Peanuts.

How do airlines get away with this? I hear pilots’ salaries have plummeted too.

Viral ‘courtesy’ letter American Airlines gives flight attendants shows how little they make

An employment verification letter American Airlines gives to some newly hired flight attendants documenting their salary has been circulating on Reddit, drawing attention to their low wages.

The letter states that a new American Airlines flight attendant will have a “projected annual salary [of] $27,315 per year before incentives and taxes” and concludes, “Any courtesy you can provide would be appreciated.”

The union representing American Airlines workers, the Association of Professional Flight Attendants (APFA), verified the authenticity of the letter, which is given to potential landlords or for other services where attendants need to verify their employment and income. The union represents 28,000 American Airlines flight attendants, and it is working on their first new contract in five years – a deal that stretches back before the pandemic and the inflation crisis.

8 Likes