Workers rights and unions

10 Likes

Boo! Hiss!

This comes at a time when they can’t fill a huge amount of positions with the City.

That’s some fine Mayor work there, Lou.

Obviously, many positions have to be there in person. But many don’t. This is being pushed by center city commercial office real estate companies. City workers (other than police) have to live in the city- that money is being spent in other neighborhoods anyway.

Edit:

8 Likes

Hm! Boeing union just ran whistleblower rights training

A union representing Boeing employees held a training session last week on whistleblower protection rights, suggesting the troubled jetmaker’s problems may be far from over.

The Society of Professional Engineering Employees in Aerospace (SPEEA), which represents workers at Boeing and Boeing spin-off-slash-supplier Spirit AeroSystems, held a training session for council representatives at both corporations on Friday.

“The seminar comes after two years of SPEEA unsuccessfully trying to negotiate strong anti-retaliation language with the Boeing Co. in particular,” the union said on its website. It said such anti-retaliation measures are needed because SPEEA members continue to report being punished for speaking out about safety concerns.

[…]

7 Likes
5 Likes

16 Likes
13 Likes
11 Likes

It’s great that their preparing themselves but I think it’s optimistic to think that there will be an EPA if Trump wins. Or unions.

6 Likes

Infuriating, but true. Also the idea that such an abomination would even think that it was bound by a contract. But I guess you do what you can do.

9 Likes

First they came for earned vacation days and sick leave, and now the lunch hour…

:thinking: What’s odd about the pressure coming from the employer side is the increasing number of them forcing workers back into the office, partly to support local businesses. What will this do to restaurants who depend on lunch crowds? In my experience, most workers want to get out of town immediately after work - except on Fridays. I doubt restaurants in business districts could rely on that traffic to make a profit. I guess we’ll see how long it takes for TPTB to figure out underpaid, overworked people who don’t get a decent break won’t do quality work. :woman_shrugging:t4:

7 Likes

Ultimately, local businesses do better where people live, not where people work. Even moreso when such places are nice places to be rather than somewhere so stressful that people just want to escape.

One of the biggest problems I see with current US business mentality is a near panic to make money now and move on to the next rather than build a sustainable, compelling business that will last.

8 Likes

People need to stop wasting money on luxuries like eating out all the time!

Why aren’t you buying lunch out!

8 Likes
9 Likes
7 Likes

:astonished:

8 Likes
7 Likes

The staff of the Foundation are not City of Philadelphia employees and not union members.

This looks like serious mismanagement by the Foundation.

5 Likes
7 Likes

12 Likes
7 Likes