Workers rights and unions

This isn’t new but I just saw the headline go by earlier:

In 2018, Amazon founder Jeff Bezos said that workers should aim for work-life harmony, not “balance,” at an event hosted by Business Insider’s parent company Axel Springer. Bezos also called the concept of work-life balance “debilitating” because it hints that there’s a trade-off.

I’ll hazard a guess that it’s easy for Bezos to say that, seeing how he is the richest person in the world (again)

9 Likes
10 Likes
10 Likes
7 Likes

In local news ‐ this is the store closest to our home:

When I saw the papered-up windows, I thought they’d closed-closed. But no, it’s just for today so they can vote. :fist:

13 Likes
10 Likes

Meanwhile - balls

A labor board with Trump appointees may not even pursue injunctions in these types of labor cases. Sharon Block told me as significant as she thinks the Supreme Court ruling is, she says it pales in comparison to the danger to workers’ rights that she would expect to see in a second Trump administration.

8 Likes

Staffing and competitive wages are the focus of their demands, Palmer said. When staffing levels are low, nurses can’t take lunch, there are delays in answering patient calls, and it’s even difficult to find time to go to the bathroom, he said.
That constant stress is causing record levels of burnout among nurses, Palmer said.

Healthcare in a nutshell. When the bottom line is the only factor that matters, minimum possible staffing is what happens. When you have that, there is no allowance for emergencies or the unexpected. Which, in healthcare, is absolutely expected because humans are weird and unpredictable. We see it all the time. But the high muckety mucks cannot be bothered with facts like this, they have a profit goal to meet!

Rage GIF

12 Likes

It… didn’t pass. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

4 Likes
8 Likes
10 Likes

The Texas GOP recently made mandatory worker heat protection illegal

10 Likes

18 Likes

In September 2023, 15 Chinese workers brought a lawsuit alleging that Benally and his associates made the laborers work 14-hour shifts with no pay at the Shiprock operation, that managers physically abused the laborers to get them to work harder and that guards prevented the workers from leaving.

After Benally obtained a license to start a new operation in Torrance County, County Commissioner Samuel Schropp visited the Shiprock site.

“I saw a shed with bunks built floor-to-ceiling like a submarine, stacked 18 inches apart, and a number of RVs with no hookups, [no] water or sewer hooked up to them, and electric cords laying in the mud in the water,” Schropp says.

Some of the workers came from Chinese-speaking immigrant communities in New York. They were people who had worked in restaurants, nail salons, massage parlors and other industries hit hard during COVID, says Aaron Halegua, a lawyer representing the 15 workers.

10 Likes
7 Likes

star trek spock GIF

10 Likes

This is the same company starting to get into healthcare and increase automation in warehouses, so workers will probably end up with something like this:

9 Likes
6 Likes
11 Likes