6 Likes
8 Likes

Feds start Pressuring the UAW about its stance on the Gaza war

3 Likes
14 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes
9 Likes

The federally appointed monitor tasked with overseeing the United Auto Workers, Neil Barofsky, is ratcheting up his conflict with UAW President Shawn Fain, announcing another investigation into the union leader who rose to national prominence amid the successful “Stand Up Strike” against the Big Three automakers.

Yet newly unveiled documents suggest Barofsky’s pursuit of Fain has less to do with concerns over union self-dealing and more to do with the politics of Israel-Palestine.

10 Likes

He should be removed. Totally wrong behavior - and never given a similar appointment again.

10 Likes

:woman_facepalming:

10 Likes

6 Likes

Didn’t the teamsters back Nixon and Reagan?

4 Likes

Reagan I don’t know, but Team Nixon had an arrangement with Jimmy Hoffa regarding the 1960 election. Which Joseph Kennedy found out to his chagrin when he was making the rounds amongst some old, uh, business associates from the prohibition days.
According to Gus Russo’s book about the Chicago Outfit, anyway.

6 Likes

https://www.nytimes.com/1984/08/31/us/teamsters-vote-to-endorse-reagan.html

TEAMSTERS VOTE TO ENDORSE REAGAN

By Gerald R. Boyd

• Aug. 31, 1984

Credit…The New York Times Archives

Vice President Bush today reached out for the support of organized labor’s rank and file as the International Brotherhood of Teamsters became the first major labor union to endorse President Reagan for re-election.

The endorsement came after the results of a mail survey in which 25,841 of the union’s 1.7 million members responded, the union said in a statement. Results of the survey showed 53.6 percent favored Mr. Reagan and 43.6 percent backed his Democratic opponent, Walter F. Mondale, said the teamsters’ general president, Jackie Presser.

Mr. Presser said the teamsters’ 21- member board had voted unanimously to endorse Mr. Reagan.

9 Likes

Well this is a… result. I wonder if a teamsters president can get a no-confidence vote and then be replaced…

12 Likes

:thinking:

See @j9c below on the endorsement for Reagan…

4 Likes

Damn.

ETA: I had debated posting this in the Commie Library of Memes, but what had my attention was the work–the real, lifelong, hard work–that these older Cubans put in, and the promises that were inevitably made to them as they made their sacrifices for the collective good, for the time when they were too old to be working, or at least, working in the way the revolution needed them to.

9 Likes

This asshole should be fired.

12 Likes