World's cheapest electricity is Mexican solar power

Any profitably established economic model in any industry will see change as a threat.

2 Likes

Which is precisely what makes them entirely sociopathic, with regards to changes that are clearly net beneficially to all of humanity. If you put profits ahead of human beings, it’s sociopathic behavior.

8 Likes

So why is California electricity so expensive?

1 Like

Thank you so much! You actually answered all the questions I had!!

1 Like

Yeah, technically once you cross the wet bit you’re then in Odztrillia, but … you’re still approx. 3,000km from any inhabitants. Transmission losses are going to be terrible. Also, ET or PNG might not be the greatest spots for massive solar farms (lack of land, regular clouds, an ‘interesting’ approach to the rule of law and infrastructure, …)

edit: 3,000km was meant to be a joking exaggeration … but it’s almost literal in the case of QLD (2,600km from the tip of the peninsula to Brisbane) and a wild underestimate in the case of ET. Australia is big :astonished:

1 Like

The people of Thursday Island might be a bit offended by that.

OTOH, there aren’t a lot of them.

2 Likes

Maybe that explains why the Russians dont see global warming as a significant threat. If the globe does warm they will get more viable agricultural land - a bit like Canada.

3 Likes

Vlad is on record saying exactly that. He also likes the idea of easier access to the Arctic.

Vlad is an idiot.

4 Likes

Yup, and they both may as well rig up their own solar cells rather than have PNG do it for them.

Besides there’s a shitton of space behind Sydders, Melbourne, Adelaide, Brizzyvegas, Canberra, and Perth - all with copious amounts of sunshine hours - where you could hide many, many square kilometres of panels.

1 Like

…because California is not Mexico? (At least not since 1848.)

4 Likes

Could this be part of why Putin allegedly helped Trump, since he knew that he was an idiotic populist that would sabotage US efforts to mitigate global warming? Interesting… :thinking:

3 Likes

I doubt that global warming had much to do with it; neither of them really understands the issue or takes it seriously.

But it does illustrate one point, though: the common US conception of Vlad as some sort of manipulative mastermind is utter bollocks.

This isn’t “Russian chessmaster makes a puppet of the US President”, it’s “a pair of authoritarian, kleptocratic fools conspire together to loot the world”.

5 Likes

Oh, come on, you are spoiling all the paranoiac conspirative fun!

But you may be right. I think Trump’s biggest drive is ego, an Putin’s is self-preservation and, why not, ego too. The global warming thing may just be a nice side effect.

2 Likes

HVDC is surprisingly low loss, much better than AC, (damn that Edison!)

1 Like

Or else rename “Mexican Solar Energy” as “Manifest Destiny Solar Energy” .

“It’s time t’ take back our God-given sunlight from them photon stealin’ Mex-e-cains!”

@davide405 Positive? Negative? I’m sure there are good particles on both sides.

@the_borderer Bernays? That guy had some sauce!

2 Likes

What doth it a profit a man to save the human race, if in doing so he loseth his own bonus.

8 Likes

“How do we move from fossil systems toward solar sources without destroying the social fabric of those dependent on revenue from gas and coal?”

Given that those people have been aware of the need to wean ourselves off petrochemical energy for decades, and have done everything in their power to cripple efforts to do so that could have given them a “soft landing”, I don’t give a damn if they starve on the streets.

1 Like

I doubt that the people starving on the streets will be the ones who have been, and will continue to make all the important decisions :frowning:

1 Like

Dihydrogen is the easy part. I already have an electrolysis module under assembly - capture H2, vent O2

Of course, that’s more energy, but since we’re talking passive solar power, its ‘free.’

2 Likes

How did we move from horse carriages towards automobiles without destroying the social fabric of those dependent on revenue from horse carriages?