World's first AI auto race demonstrates the technology is not ready (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/15/worlds-first-ai-auto-race-demonstrates-the-technology-is-not-ready-video.html

9 Likes

Kyle Reese, “Listen, and understand! That Terminator is out there! It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop… ever, until you are dead!”

Sarah Connor, “Um… it has stopped moving… is that supposed to happen?”

sddefault

10 Likes

This is hilarious, but to be fair, it is an improvement - by light years - over the original autonomous car races. I forget if it was part of DARPA’s “grand challenge,” but I recollect a race about the same time on a track, using non-racing cars, expected to go at city street speeds, where if I remember correctly, most didn’t past the starting line.

7 Likes

This is why I won’t turn lane assist on.

2 Likes

When I first got my latest vehicle, the lane assist was pretty good - it would take some fairly sharp freeway curves and maintain the lane.
I’m pretty sure the manufacturer de-tuned it in a software update because it doesn’t work nearly as good - I figured it was because of liability reasons and didn’t want people to drive hands off.

2 Likes

Ytho GIF

8 Likes

The crash at 2:12. Just like Senna and Prost. AI has successfully learned how to drive F1.

7 Likes

World’s first AI auto race

That will be a surprise to the teams of the Indy Autonomous Challenge, who have been racing since 2021.

3 Likes

“How long did these teams have to prepare for this specific track?”

Guess you didn’t watch the whole video then? They mention specifically that the coding teams had only 2 months and no IRL practice runs.

2 Likes

The point of AI is that it must be able to cope with no IRL practice runs because it hasn’t got the advantage of millions of years of evolution in navigating the world.

Anyway, I prefer those little chunky robots which deliver takeaway food around American universities. They are cute and useful and people mostly like to help them.

5 Likes

Do you DARE question our new AI overlords who do ALL THINGS better than us HU-MANS!!! Heretic! Blasphemer!!! /s

terminator GIF

6 Likes

Right? Of all motorsports, why would you attempt F1 cars instead of literally anything else with 4 wheels?

3 Likes

And the DARPA Grand Challenge, which started 20 years ago in 2004, with the Urban race being in 2007.

3 Likes

Duh, because the buy-in price of an F1-class car ($12-20 million) keeps the poors out. Can’t have your ivy-league kids’ supercar shown up by some community college junker running off a laptop Beowulf cluster, now can we?

4 Likes

Dang, I thought it was gonna be this:

Which kinda looks like it was made by AI. And is definitely more amusing.

3 Likes

This give me all the hope in the world that AI autonomous ships will not replace human crews in the near future. The high level of data inputs involved with safe navigation will definitely overwhelm AI, as this attempted race shows.

Needless to say, race tracks don’t move below cars and neither pose intersections that are bested only by Shinjuku Crossing.

2 Likes

This shows how limited the current approach to AI is. It’s had 20 years and this is all they can show for it?

4 Likes

I feel that the collision lacked the emotional element of a proper F1 shunt.

4 Likes

3DBotmaker and Chaos Canyon are the only motorsports I watch these days. You can’t question the total commitment of the drivers. They really understand the gravity of the situation.

3 Likes

Yeah, although it seems like this was actually a pretty poor showing compared to other similar efforts. I’m not sure why… but I don’t know what “AI” means here, if anything (were these normal autonomous cars, or some brand new approach using neural networks trained on driver data?), where it took place, who was involved…

1 Like