Wristwatch likely eaten by cow found 50 years later

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/18/wristwatch-likely-eaten-by-cow-found-50-years-later.html

3 Likes

I wish there was a pic of it.

Why do they think a cow ate it vs it just being trampled in mud for 50 years? Cows chew and grind grass down. I don’t think they would chew on a hunk of metal and swallow it - but maybe so.

6 Likes

Contributed by Allan Rose Hill

3 Likes

Behold prophylactic cow magnets! I’m not sure what the breakdown is in terms of shape and size; but cows eating metal is common enough that that’s the dedicated countermeasure.

14 Likes

Cows don’t seem to be very selective about what they Hoover up. Which is why “hardware disease” is a thing. This is also why cow magnets are a thing.

7 Likes

I somehow stubbled upon this channel. Looks like he takes up watches with crazy stories. Maybe he can help:
[Wristwatch Revival - YouTube] https://www.youtube.com/@WristwatchRevival

3 Likes

Did not know that. Might look for a cow magnet next time I’m at a Raiffeisen Market.
Anyway, this led me down another rabbit hole, and one of the things I came across was the Coca-Cola treatment:

3 Likes

When I was 12 I left my first watch, a Timex, under a hedge to play cricket, forgot where I had put it. A year later the groundsman was mowing near the hedge, found it with the strap half eaten, returned it (my name was engraved on the back) and when I wound it, the watch was good as ever.

13 Likes

Yeah, why do you think we need to find the famous needle in a haystack? Because if you don’t a cow’s going to end up eating it

4 Likes

Probably easier to let a cow with a cow magnet look for it.
(Ok, so there is abdominal extraction to consider…)

Also, depending on the rarity of the exact model, a crap-ton of money spent might well realise a return via the post-repair valuation.

1 Like

He is great, especially since he will get a watch back into working order but not completely refurbish it ( make it look like new ) to keep the story and memories intact.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I’m strangely relieved the strap wasn’t leather.

2 Likes

1 Like

I was thinking about that exact channel when reading this. It’s great.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.