Wuhan coronavirus: Trump White House may impose travel ban on China

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/28/wuhan-coronavirus-trump-white.html

2 Likes

But how will tRump get all those nifty MAGA hats, got’a go to China for tRump made crap.

8 Likes

For those studying the language, here are the Chinese characters for “Kick Me.”

kick me

6 Likes

Wait…so I agree with him on something? I’m not feeling ok about this.

3 Likes

Could someone tell me what this actually means though?

2 Likes

It’s their names.

5 Likes

He might consider it, but when the business types actually tell him how much money it will cost the US economy it will never happen.

4 Likes

Unless he can frame it as his next salvo in the trade war, of course.

1 Like

If China wouldn’t be a country, I would link to Africa is a country. However, China is fucking big. A blanket travel ban is a bit… trumpian.

Well, I suggest walls within walls. And more walls. You know. Ask the Mongolians: walls work.

1 Like

And that is, of course, the problem with an administration that lies about anything and everything. I have no illusions that previous administrations lied about some things (October Surprise, Gulf of Tonkin, Bay of Pigs, WMDs, etc.) but there was a degree of confidence that everyday statements were more or less true. And now that has gone completely and will take a long time to return.

On a related note I read a report that said there were only two crew members on the military plane that crashed / was shot down in Afghanistan and now I have to ask “is that true?”

So if the President were to ban travel to or from China, you’d have to ask “what’s in it for him?” and whether or not whatever he (or his spokespeople) said on the issue was true. And that gets complicated and tiring

3 Likes

2020, this:

oh and from 2018, this:

With the monetary shift, it is not clear which programs will be affected, but the shortfall will create holes in public health programs, Georges Benjamin, the executive director of the American Public Health Association (APHA), tells The Scientist . The CDC will also suffer a blow in the coming year as funds from a five-year, $582-million supplemental package to combat Ebola run out with no hint of being renewed.

Benjamin noted that the recent announcement to not renew funding for global health initiatives to monitor Ebola and other outbreaks is intertwined with the PPHF, as well. By choosing not to renew the supplemental package, the CDC will reduce or stop work in 39 of 49 foreign countries focused on preventing infectious-disease epidemics and other health threats. Slashing those programs, along with financial support for PPHF, which provides infrastructure and support for some of those programs, hampers the CDC’s broader capacity to respond to and contain disease outbreaks. And, he notes, the cuts limit research innovation. The National Institutes of Health, he says, plays a valuable role in basic research to combat disease, but translation work is done by the CDC, so programs related to such research could be affected.

I realize that Ebola Wuhan coronavirus, but defunding the Center for Disease Control’s budget wrt infectious diseases study can and will have serious blowback, assuming that this defunding is somehow not an intentional action by Cult45 to maximize pain/suffering/death for the poors.

insert crueltyistheirpoint.gif

insert this-is-fine.gif or maybe im-shocked-shocked-well-not-that-shocked.gif

5 Likes

This from the guy who made a major issue about his travel ban against Muslims. This is a no brainer. Ban travel to and from. Does he want Captain Trips because this is how you get Captain Trips

1 Like

China isn’t a popular destination right now.

2 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes

I could 100% see him pulling a ban on Chinese imports under the guise of preventing coronavirus-infected steel from entering the U.S. or something.

4 Likes

Does that ban include include his Trump/MAGA merch?

There’s ALWAYS an exception for Trump/MAGA/Ivanka merch.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.