Trump bizarrely orders halt to W.H.O. funding amid coronavirus pandemic

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/14/trump-orders-halt-to-w-h-o-fu.html

8 Likes

DS9-sigh-sisko

39 Likes

“Bizarrely” you say.

“Unsurprisingly” says I.

54 Likes

Bizarrely + Unsurprisingly = Trumpenly

56 Likes

My wife, when told: “Why would he do that?”

Me: “Why does he do anything? They said bad things about him and they must be punished.”

63 Likes

Christ, what an asshole

48 Likes
47 Likes

Proof that Covid19 causes brain damage to those already suffering from neurosyphilis and dementia.

9 Likes

It isn’t bizarre. He has been telegraphing this move for awhile. He needs a scapegoat.

That said, I heard very early on in this, from people in China, that China was influencing what the WHO was saying. (Which they are partly beholden too, so that isn’t super surprising. The US would also have similar sway.)

They may well have made some missteps. De-funding them isn’t the right move, especially right now.

20 Likes

He’s deflecting blame like a grade-schooler. The media is accusing him of mismanagement of the pandemic response, so he’s defunding the WHO to review their mismanagement of the pandemic response. His entire presidency is full of behavior like this. It’s GOP boilerplate.

33 Likes

Absolutely. t-Rump mishandled COVID? (time for a little deflection…)

WHO definitely mishandled COVID! Yeah! That’s it.

(and before anyone can post the little “why not both” girl meme, yeah, WHO could be justly criticized for coddling China, and not pushing where it should have, but this is pure deflection on the orange shitball’s part. An absolutely standard and typical technique that unfortunately seems to work with his base.)

19 Likes

This is quintessential trump. He saved the millions of people whose lives the WHO put at risk. His base will eat it up.

Now if you’ll excuse me, the whisky isn’t going to drink itself

15 Likes

32 Likes

WHO wouldn’t agree to a quid pro quo to dig up dirt on Biff Biden.

11 Likes

He said the virus is a genius, but who expected it to be able to hypnotize Trump to make him do its bidding?

17 Likes

Not to mention that cutting off funding will make the WHO more dependent on China and more open to Chinese influence.

34 Likes

Pretty sure the main reason he’s agin it is the WORLD in the World Health Organization. “Why should I help the world? How is it helping me if it’s only helping everyone?” Also, the world is, by definition, “globalist.”

20 Likes

It’s like shutting down the fire department while they’re in the process of trying to put out your house because you’re upset they didn’t show up quicker.

46 Likes

So is he actually ordering this, or is like the last time*, which I recollect went something like this:
Trump: “I’m ending funding for WHO.”
Reporter: “Is it wise to end funding for WHO during a pandemic?”
Trump: “I never said I’m ending funding for WHO!”

*Or like 99% of the things he’s been claiming he’ll do around the coronavirus epidemic, which he never does.

23 Likes

tenor (2)
Cascadia secession/wexit can’t come soon enough. I’m so done.

13 Likes