WWWBasic: code web-pages in BASIC

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/18/party-like-its-1979.html

2 Likes

I wish I could go around finding people like this and somehow drain them of the millions of idle hours they seem to have. The ratio of drained hours to recovered hours needn’t be high; I just need a few hours here and there to do some bookkeeping with my HSA and maybe help my parents set up internet in their new house. The real benefit would be the modest improvement in quality of the average blog post…

3 Likes

Okay, I can’t possibly say how many times I have read

64K RAM SYSTEM 38911 BASIC BYTES FREE

but “mixing Javascript and BASIC” has a worst-of-two-worlds vibe to me.

6 Likes

10 Likes

…so you can mix Javascript and BASIC.

Isn’t that a felony?

Lev. 19:19 Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee, nor code of unlike kinds combine.

10 Likes

It’s called having a hobby. When I was young and writing software in Z80 assembler for CP/M machines, it never occurred to me that the time would only be useful if I could monetize it somehow. The SIMTEL archives were full of the output of people who shared this POV.

5 Likes

I find people who use the “Person X who has created geeky thing Y has too much time on their hands” complaint quite often spend quite a lot of time not working themselves – and without actually creating anything in their “wasted” time.

1 Like

6 Likes

onmouseover="PRINT 'FUCK':SYS64738"

Woohoo! I’m the 733151 Hxx0r 3v3er!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.