Xenophobic UK politician ranting about "political correctness" gets a public spanking from an historian

Someone cast a dark skinned hot looking and very competent actress to impersonate a (probably) pale skinned (probably) not so hot girl. Someone else points out the historical inaccuracy. No one counters the argument that there’s an historical inaccuracy, instead the “second someone” is “spanked” because apparently there’s a legend where this girl descended from a swan. Beats me.

2 Likes

I get both sides points of view, and i stand more on the side of not caring who they cast. Still i’m highly irritated by the seemingly common and inane use of “destroyed”, “takes down”, etc when two people are having a public conversation about something. The exaggeration really really annoys me.
Also i presume this female character, even though she has mythical qualities attached to her by others she’s based on a real, actual human being right? If this is the case, and someone points out why wasn’t that role cast with someone representative of the original person’s background i don’t think this is an absurd comment to make, or a racist/xenophobic one.
However, i don’t have a dog in this fight so i don’t particularly care if they were to cast a dark skinned lady, or a vietnamese actress or what have you. As long as they’re talented and doing a good job.

4 Likes

'Though contemporaries had a great deal to say about Margaret of Anjou, complimentary and otherwise, scarcely anyone troubled to write about such a mundane detail as her personal appearance. The most detailed description is a secondhand one, which appears in a letter from Raffaelo De Negra to Bianca Maria Visconti, Duchess of Milan, dated October 24,
1458: “The Englishman told me that the queen is a most handsome woman, though somewhat dark [my emphasis] and not so beautiful as your Serenity.” ’

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/posts/so-what-did-margaret-of-anjou-look-like/

14 Likes

I knew you were a UKIP shill, proving it was useful. UKIP is racist, xenophobic and incoherent. Your only use is as a distraction in general elections, just like the BNP et al before you. I’ll warn you, you’ll get short shrift here; even the more conservative posters are most likely to regard you as amusement value, I’d warrant. Have fun though!

10 Likes

Well, she does appear to have quite a long neck…

8 Likes

I don’t fear foreigners, that would be almost as absurd as saying someone has an irrational fear of foreigners for asking why a white historical figure has been portrayed by a black person on the BBC and then justifying the baseless accusation with the statement that he’s a UKIP councillor.

It’s almost like you don’t realize that Hollywood has a whiteness problem.

20 Likes

Why did you think that?

Well no, “historically,” there were no such things as “white” people back then.

And even if the real person back then being portrayed by this darker actress did have skin that resembled that of today’s so-called white people, are you saying there’s something wrong with her being played by someone who in this one way doesn’t resemble her?

8 Likes

I’ve not heard of Chris Wood before, let alone posed as a genuine customer to trick members of the public into buying something off him. I saw this thread on a Google alert and seeing that you were a UKIP hating bigot I thought I’d correct the public record. The only amusing thing here is your tenuous grasp of the English language.

Pot-kettle-black much? Or wait, I guess it’s more “projection,” right?

Also, is “UKIP” now a group of oppressed people? I’m in the U.S., where calling someone who hates Republican ideology a “bigot” would be both bizarre and nonsensical.

15 Likes

o_0 so, European, then?

Nope.

This is how UKIP wins votes. Outreach. Hearts and minds. Voters love being called bigots.

8 Likes

My grasp of English is tenuous? Egad, is that the best you’ve got? Language is fluid. Words depend upon context, subtext and topic. ‘Shill’ can mean many things, including an audience member who is actually part of the show; someone (as you are intent on meaning it) falsely representing themselves as a happy customer in order to promote a product; or, as I am using it in this context, someone swooping in on a discussion to protect their bizarre political shibboleths.

What would you prefer? True believer? Astroturfer? Useful idiot? Righteous protector of Albion from the Unwashed Hordes from Beyond Calais? Grammar Nazi? Pick something and we’ll try to accommodate you.

[edit: removed English Exceptionalist statement from above screed, as it’s not ‘especially’ anything. And me no know how do strikethrough tags]

16 Likes

Someone publicly complained about the historical inaccuracy and used a less historically accurate account to back up his complaint. (I think it’s safe to say that it’s more likely Margaret of Anjou was descended from dark-skinned humans than from an avian.)

And let’s face it, he probably wouldn’t have taken to Twitter if the BBC had made an error getting the period costumes correct or had mispronounced one of the characters’ names. This was all about race.

19 Likes

9 Likes

I’m not a UKIP hating bigot, I wouldn’t be in UKIP if I was.

I’d prefer you not to make false assumptions and not to spread your irrational hatred.

Oh dear.

Now I’m having trouble resisting my own prejudicial reflex – that of reading that response as further support for the contention that people who support UKIP are basically idiots.

19 Likes

You’re also not clear-minded. Why not toddle off to throw some rocks at immigrants, protest the existence of Muslims in the UK, and have a protest over being a foreigner in your own land and leave the grown ups to talk here?

20 Likes