Xitter CEO tries yesterday's slang for today's embarrassment

Originally published at: Xitter CEO tries yesterday's slang for today's embarrassment

3 Likes

The more I hear from her, the more I’m convinced she was the right choice for the job.

15 Likes

Don’t hate her just because she’s trying to big up Grok for being on fleek

(shouldn’t be necessary, but for safety reasons, /s )

15 Likes

hip

nothip

16 Likes

“Gretchen, stop trying to make Grok happen. It’s not going to happen.”

15 Likes

Saying people sound like an AI seems to be the au currant sick burn.

As AIs evolve, it will be interesting to see where this goes. It could become such a strong insult that it’s socially unacceptable like calling someone a moron, or it could become a compliment.

6 Likes

Grok did happen, though. It was about 30 or 40 years ago, but it did happen.

14 Likes

I’m sure everyone knows the origin but it was closer to 60 years ago it all started.

Grok /ˈɡrɒk/ is a neologism coined by American writer Robert A. Heinlein for his 1961 science fiction novel Stranger in a Strange Land .

15 Likes

“You sound like an AI!”

12 Likes

Yeah, I just knew it was fairly common geek vernacular when I was a grad student in the early 90s.

7 Likes

grokspock

6 Likes

Me, I thought that was part of a nerd’s bona fides: knowing the word grok regardless of the current decade. I imagine the pedants among us would point out there’s a difference between “Welcome to the world Grok” and “Welcome to the world, Grok”. Also, if I remember correctly, it literally meant to drink water (and implied something more profound). Is there a martian word for drinking the Kool-Aid for this situation?

4 Likes

I remember back when he wasn’t as obviously a fascist bonehead failson and he would use that word it was quite obvious that he never really grokked what the word meant.

And he almost certainly saw himself as the lead character in that novel. I just hope we see the full and final collapse of the toxic cesspit that is Xitter before he becomes martyred for his redpilled acolytes.

6 Likes

… it’s been a long time but I vaguely remember Valentine Michael Smith was at least capable of learning and changing over time :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

Can we rule out the possibility that Yaccarino and Grok are actually one and the same? She can’t have much to do what with Twitter’s ad sales, so there is plenty of time for her to masquerade as a piss poor AI.

4 Likes

OR … there is no Yaccarino and she’s always been an A.I. :robot:

3 Likes

Which is really the ultimate manifestation of grokking, right? To fully comprehend something is to see all facets and variables and adapt one’s perspective accordingly.

ETA: In other words, “When all are one and one is all, go be stock and not to roll.”

2 Likes

IIRC, it also helps to eat a stew including the tip of subject’s thumb. Not sure what the corollary would be here.

3 Likes

I had been using grok for decades, Sighs Thanks Elon for ruining the word.

From the old hackers dictionary:

grok /grok/, var. /grohk/ vt.

[common; from the novel “Stranger in a Strange Land”, by Robert A. Heinlein, where it is a Martian word meaning literally to drink' and metaphorically to be one with’] The emphatic form is grok in fullness'. 1. To understand, usually in a global sense. Connotes intimate and exhaustive knowledge. Contrast **[zen](http://www.hackersdictionary.com/html/entry/zen.html)**, which is similar supernal understanding experienced as a single brief flash. See also **[glark](http://www.hackersdictionary.com/html/entry/glark.html)**. 2. Used of programs, may connote merely sufficient understanding. "Almost all C compilers grok the void` type these days."

3 Likes

I guess I should start taking better care of myself in case someone wants to dine on OhHai when I die.

3 Likes