Acronyms and Glossary (wiki)

Decoder ring for various acronyms and terms used on the BB.

13 Likes

/s - this statement is sarcasm

AFAIK - as far as I know (I mean, as far as I know)

Banana - just means banana, but must be accompanied by the phrase “just look at it!”

BIPOC - Black, Indigenous, (and) People of Color

BRIAN BLESSED - BRIAN BLESSED!

CHUD - cannibalistic humanoid underground dwellers, or an alt-right loudmouth

ETA - Edited to add. A polite thing to do if you edit your post, especially if others had previously liked it.

fecesbook - Mark Zuckerberg’s democracy plundering data harvesting enterprise

Feral Hog - species of even-toed ungulates, known to roam in packs of 30-50 that run into yards within 3-5 minutes while kids play

FLICC - science denial stratagem: False experts, Logical fallacies, Impossible expectations, Cherry picking, Conspiracy theories

freeze peach - free speech. Typically used in the sarcastic sense (muh rights!)

FTA - from the article

FUD - Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt

FWIW - for what it’s worth

GC - Gender Crits. Those folks that “just ask questions” about things that don’t actually impact their lives

Gentleman - derogatory, usually a jerk

Gooseberry - an ad hominem attack @sosumi

IANAD - I am not a doctor

IANAL - I am not a lawyer

IANAOEOHFPPE - I am not a one eyed, one horned, flying purple people eater

IANAS - I am not a scientist

ICYMI - In case you missed it

IIRC - if I recall correctly

IOKIYAR - It’s OK If You’re A Republican

IOW - in other words

Karen - generally a white woman who uses her privilege to torment others and escalate situations, while simultaneously being invisible to said privilege. Desires to speak to manager. If you want to debate it, go here: Think of the Karens

LEO - law enforcement officer

MAU - Monthly Active User

■■■■■ - somewhat damp

Octopodes - the only acceptable plural of Octopus. Fight me!

OP - Original poster. Depending on context, can refer to the cited article versus the person actually posting the article.

OTOH - on the other hand

POC - persons of color. Roughly 85% of humanity

PPE - Personal Protective Equipment, e.g. facemasks. Shibboleth for non-trumpers

Reboing - this topic has been posted previously

Reboing - this topic has been posted previously

Rob Ford - former mayor of Toronto that some may not be aware is now deceased

SFOCOTRBEIPR - Sacred Fight Over Control Of The Rubber Bladder Encased In Pigskin Ritual, aka the NFL Superbowl

SEO - Search engine optimization. A way to trick people into clicking on your stuff first

SWERF - Sex Worker Exclusionary Radical Feminist

TER - Transgender Exclusionary Reactionary. Used when there is debate over whether the individual or group are radical feminists. TERFs are also TERs, as they believe things were better before trans people spoiled everything.

TERF - Trangender Exclusionary Radical Feminist. The Venn diagram of TERFs and SWERFs is close to being a single circle.

TKAAR - The kids are all right.

TSD - Tactical/Strategic Douchebaggery

WDKS - we dont know shit

Whuffie - a form of digital social reputation, replaces money and is a constantly updated rating that measures how much esteem and respect other people have for a person. This rating system determines who gets the few scarce items, like the best housing, a table in a crowded restaurant, or a good place in a queue for a theme park attraction.

Wypipo - white people. Typically used in the context of white privilege

YMMV - your mileage may vary

22 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Added CHUD

4 Likes

Affirmed “Octopodes” is the only acceptable plural of Octopus. Take that!

7 Likes

May I suggest some additions?

SWERF - Sex Worker Exclusionary Radical Feminist
TERF - Trangender Exclusionary Radical Feminist. The Venn diagram of TERFs and SWERFs is close to being a single circle.
TER - Transgender Exclusionary Reactionary. Used when there is debate over whether the individual or group are radical feminists. TERFs are also TERs, as they believe things were better before trans people spoiled everything.

7 Likes

It’s a wiki so you should be able to edit yourself. But I can add.

ETA: Done!

5 Likes

Added TSD - Tactical/Strategic Douchebaggery @docosc

4 Likes

Added Karen. Not sure how it was missed before.

1 Like

I hope nobody minds that I’ve added “TKAAR - The kids are all right.” It seems like we’re having more and more opportunities to say that these days - Yay!

2 Likes

Added FLICC and FUD

2 Likes

Added FTA and OP

ETA: Also added Rob Ford.

2 Likes

Added link to the “Karen” page to the Karen definition.

1 Like

Added BIPOC

Added Whuffie.

1 Like