Wh.. Whuffie?

Whut’s the Whuffie?

7 Likes

Confused Tom Hanks GIF

12 Likes

Sorry… I haven’t read that. Thanks I guess?

5 Likes

You should, as it’s an excellent book. Most certain put @doctorow on the map and by extension BB…

I just assumed that most folks here are at least partially familiar with Cory’s work, given that he helped build an audience for the BB… Maybe I should not do that.

16 Likes

Today I Learned, too.

• Whuffie, a form of digital social reputation, replaces money and is a constantly updated rating that measures how much esteem and respect other people have for a person. This rating system determines who gets the few scarce items, like the best housing, a table in a crowded restaurant, or a good place in a queue for a theme park attraction.

Wasn’t that a Black Mirror episode?

20 Likes

Yes?

But I’d argue that it entered our popular imaginations in part due to D&OITMK…

Anyways… here’s a like…

black mirror text GIF by NETFLIX

21 Likes

I miss him. And the more time goes by the more new people here will be like “Cory who?”

Makes me a little sad.

20 Likes

Yeah, but at least people get to discover a great book…

11 Likes

And increasingly the reality in China.

13 Likes

Took a while for me until the penny dropped as I first knew the Whuffie as Woppel.

5 Likes
5 Likes

I’m not really all that new, but still have a lot to learn

3 Likes
24 Likes

And an episode of Community

8d741a11e4f668910ff3f4c73a56ccd2

8 Likes

Oh yeah sorry, that wasn’t really directed at you so much as just a general sigh about the march of time. I recognize you from all your awesome posts in the crafts threads!

13 Likes

You can read it, free, on your devices, at cory doctorow’s site: https://craphound.com/down/download/

(I recommend the HTML version, which nicely converts into any format for any e-reader)

these days cory isn’t involved in boingboing but continues his privacy advocacy over at Pluralistic, his solo blog: https://pluralistic.net/

11 Likes
7 Likes

And of course he cosplayed this for the EFF Pioneer Award.

10 Likes

Cory has been a recurring character in plenty of XKCDs
Randall credits him with the idea to make a freely shared online comic

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.