Is China's social credit system becoming a Black Mirror episode?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/05/is-chinas-social-credit-syst.html

3 Likes

Yes. It’s the first thing that popped in my head when I read about it.

Speaking about Black Mirror… Mechanical bees on Mars: https://gizmodo.com/buzz-buzz-nasa-funds-project-to-put-bee-robots-on-mars-1824987961

2 Likes

Coming, soon, to a neighborhood near you.

2 Likes

Jesus, this lady is a nightmare. Only the guy who looks like a Kim Jong Un impersonator seems to have a lick of healthy suspicion. What the hell!?!

10 Likes

In the US we call it “credit rating”

6 Likes

The Chinese follow the rules and never question why the rules are there. This system fits right into that mentality.

1 Like

9 characters

12 Likes

…Or is it becoming a Cory Doctorow’s book ? (a great one, besides)

4 Likes

Voluntary self-enslavement isn’t pretty to watch… tyranny 24/7/365 Big Xi is always watching. Runaway, runaway, runaway. The China Dream [TM] doesn’t not include not being spied on, does not include freedom of thought, expression, or association. it’s only a matter of time until the repression worsens.

Interesting piece about boiling to death slowly in water. I would’ve liked to see more variety in the socioeconomic spectrum of who they interviewed. I would bet that a migrant construction worker would have different insight as to how such a system functions on the negative side of the technology utopia. Similarly, people in a variety of political spectrum, but I get that they likely had to get permission and after all, interviewing and getting too deep into this might negatively effect their credit.

3 Likes

7 Likes

“But I think it’s okay if my score is connected to my friends scores. This could peer pressure people into behaving a certain way in real life. People will be on their best behavior because other people will find out. It’s like a monitor for ones social life, which I think is fine”

I don’t know if it’s all in the editing, but the jaywalking guy sounds obsessive.

1 Like

We need that in the USA, um, well maybe not…

1 Like

More like an episode of The Orville perhaps?

4 Likes

The most disturbing part of this was seeing educated and cosmopolitan urbanites choosing to buy into such a horrible system (or at least resigning themselves to it). While China is – for historical and cultural reasons – more primed to put this rating system in place now, I wonder if the interviews in Union Square will be a whole lot different when the big tech companies and the U.S. government try to put something similar in place here around 2025.

It’s not simply a matter of economic class, so I would guess that an adult’s acceptance of a social credit system correlates closely with his watching reality television on a regular basis.

3 Likes

It’s sooo easy to troll on the Chinese… Remind me, Who has a privatized prison system AND the largest prison population in the world by a multiple factor?

8 Likes

Oy. I didn’t hear one reasonable argument in favor of it. Unless blind devotion to the following of rules is paramount. Which it seems to be for most of these folks.

I remember first reading that and thinking what a neat idea whuffie would be in a post-scarcity economy but now it feels like a dystopian nightmare when we know how governments would use it. China is just ahead of the curve, we’ll all be getting citizen scores built on some sort of franken-facebook architecture.

3 Likes

Just another rod for their back. The Chinese have made a big deal about lifting people out of poverty. Now they can work on raising people from the murk of a poor social credit score - perhaps they can send them off to re-education camps?

Why so many in nodding agreement? - well, the Party has a lot of members.

We all live in Cambridge now.

1 Like