YA, graphic novels, books by people of color are most challenged in America's libraries

I would argue that if anything, it’s more subversive now than it was when Twain wrote it.

8 Likes

So fiction should be banned because it’s “anti-family”, while laws that would help families–like mandatory paid sick leave, minimum wage, environmental regulations, and affordable health care–should be blocked. Because I have to believe that the jackasses who want to ban ideas are the same jackasses who want to empower corporations and stick it to the working people.

6 Likes

So a book having a “political viewpoint” is offensive, but banning books doesn’t demonstrate a political viewpoint? Mmkay.

3 Likes

It’s all part of the progressive agenda. We need to go back to the good old days, when unpleasant reality was ignored or swept under the rug.

4 Likes

Huck sure does do a nice and right thing by deciding to go against his inculcated background’s demands and help Jim escape. Too bad, though, that the book descends into farce in the last part, and all at Jim’s expense. I long wondered why Twain did that, until Toni Morrison explained that it was likely because he just couldn’t grant full humanity to an “Africanist Presence,” that is, Jim.

So yeah, nice gesture on Huck’s part, and on Twain/Clemens’, but I don’t think white folks should get all that excited about it.(And don’t even get me started on the possibility that Huck was black.)

2 Likes

wellll , NOT banned , banned is wrong !! but !!
BUT !!! perhaps , maybe , perhaps , we could inspire some libraries to delegate such special boring works to a special niche or alcove or clearly delineated area with BIG clearly labeled warning signs ~

My library doesn’t have an Adult Graphic Novel section, more’s the pity. There’s all manner of stuff I’d recommend for it if it did.

3 Likes

A lot of book stores don’t know what to do with graphic novels and more adult-themed comics. They often get tossed in to the YA section, and often with little consideration of the sort of book it actually is, even if it is in graphic form. (Book stores sort of assume "graphic novel = for younger readers.)

I imagine this happens at some libraries, too, or at the least they don’t have anywhere to put the more adult themed graphic novels, or do not think they are worthy of collecting, and so they aren’t included. Graphic novels aren’t always appreciated as much as other books, either. That’s changing, though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.