Yahoo Answers to shut down May 4

An irony is that Yahoo Answers effectively functioned as a relatively safe place for girls and young women on the net—until it didn’t.

That’s the story I want to hear about. Sounds very interesting.

5 Likes

I’m sure someone will figure out a way to download most or all of Yahoo Answers, and save it on the Internet Archive.

The corpus will the be able to serve as “bad examples” for AI training and decision making for future generations.

3 Likes

But I thought stuff on the internets never went away! /s

1 Like

Now we’ll never be able to find out if has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

3 Likes

What is Yahoo’s core business now? I hardly ever come across Yahoo email addresses, and had assumed Yahoo Answers was already dead.

3 Likes

how is babby formed?

My favorite Yahoo Answers exchange:

Person 1: “What’s the name of the song that goes ‘bum bum bum bum bum bummm bum’?”

Person 2: “Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes.”

Person 1: “That’s it! Thank you!”

7 Likes

Griffin is on paternity leave right now anyway and Yahoo! Answers is his thing. So they have a bit of time to pivot. As long as it isn’t wall to wall sadlibs.

1 Like

I came here wondering this…what are the boys going to do???

2 Likes

I’m fairly certain those good good boys have an alternative waiting in the wings. It’s not like the writing wasn’t on the wall. It wouldn’t even load people’s usernames half the time these last few years.

2 Likes

All these idots ar gonnna make more idots who stop thier carts inna midd;e of the isle in gorocery stoores, stannd inna midd;e of dooorwayes were ppl tryinta go out adn in, block buss doores, and go 47 inna lef lane onna freeway.

1 Like

They also seem to have been relying less on answering questions these days and pulling in other bits. Munch Squad is fun for instance.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure their current business model is being parted out by Verizon.

As of this week it’s a wood working show.

2 Likes
1 Like

To quote a girl I was on a mountain biking holiday in France with: “boys are yuck, and they smell”
Which still makes me smile twenty-odd years later.

2 Likes

Quite…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.