Yahoo Groups is being prepared for shutdown, with all stored archives to be deleted on Dec 14

I’ve spent much of the day learning how to archive my Yahoo Groups. Also my Yahoo Mail, because I’m not going to trust them about that either. At some point they’re bound to drop mail support with as little warning.

3 Likes

Link to ArchiveTeam’s wiki on a Python script for Archiving Groups info

1 Like

Unfortunately I have them for both phone and internet.

I hate AT&T and Comcast magnitudes more and those are pretty much my only other choices

I think if I won the lottery I would start an ISP and phone company that didn’t abuse its customers and I’d get even richer

The terrible security in Groups made me shut down the handful I was running. we discovered that “Friends” of group members could read their groups. So our private conversations were visible.
Really bad move Yahoo. Ceased to be relevant long before the shutdown.

Does anyone have a ballpark sense of how big the yahoo groups corpus actually is?

Obviously archiving it kind of chills the ongoing dialog(if any); but unless it’s quite large indeed it seems wasteful to just throw it away when storage costs are so low.

I’m admittedly a packrat by nature; but I’ve also got ~60TB of storage(most of it still available, I’ve not really found a reason, largely in excuse territory) within sight of my seat as I write this; and the combination just makes throwing potentially useful things away seem…wasteful.

Unfortunately Yahoo groups seem to be the only public mailing lists that require an account for anyone who wants access to their archives. Unlike usenet groups or other mailing lists there seem to be no mirrors anywhere.
Having been on the Polysix group for years -and having been able to repair and restore a 30-years-old analog synthesizer with help from there- I have been wondering why on earth this or (any other active) group was still there instead of migrating to some useful provider that would not shut down sooner or later.
Still wondering what’s to happen because the information archived there would be really hard to find elsewhere.

1 Like

The internet has Alzheimer’s

That’s a good way of putting it. It’s losing it’s memories and becoming less functional day-by-day, at the same time becoming unpredictable and having violent outbursts. It’s like losing a friend. I miss Geocities and AltaVista and Lycos - and the excitement of downloading a 3KB song file from Napster, it taking d…a…y…s but all being worth it when it was unobtainable elsewhere. Priceless.

6 Likes

So us old codgers will be sitting around the retirement home yelling “Get of my Usenet!”

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.