Yahoo secretly built a tool to scan all email in realtime for US spies

5 Likes

“It would be really difficult for a provider to do that,” he added.

It’s insanely easy for a provider to do that. Any half-reasonable programmer could cook up an update to a provider’s email system to do that in a day or two. Any a half-way decent regular expression library should be able to do it reasonably efficiently as well.

Even easier if a provider is already scraping users’ emails for personal information. (Not sure if Yahoo does that or not).

2 Likes

I have some pretty hardcore conservative Christian friends who have been using Yahoo mail for years because “Google admitted that they read all of your email.” I got the impression from them that it’s a common opinion held by many evangelical Christian conservatives, for whatever reason.

5 Likes

Oh! I get it now.
Thanks @peregrinus_bis! (and @adonai)

Oh thank god. Finally a reason to dump Yahoo! mail.

I remember when they were just a crappy chocolate soda, when did they start offering email service?

2 Likes

once upon a time…
this will disappear if flickr goes away

the unknown icon

So where do you buy carrier pigeons nowadays? Seems everything else is spied upon.

3 Likes

Yeah, the extensive research I carried out in childhood shows they’re pretty safe.

Of course the famous RFC 1149 covers IP over avian carriers.

3 Likes

Troll harder :wink: maybe something about how Captain Kirk blew up the Deathstar.

1 Like

That is the scary part: there is zero worry about serious shit being sent unencrypted over the emails; and yet the powers-that-be are treating this very seriously using ever shifting rhetoric to describe their efforts…

I sometimes wonder if there is a cabal of old white men somewhere who dream of enforcing social orthodoxy using the full force of the law, instead of just trying to brainwash people using cultural manipulation.

When was the last time you read the word “stiletto” and it meant the knife, and not the shoe?

There are still a lot of people like that out there, voting and making decisions which affect us all, and totally clueless. With all of the revelations that have been made, I must assume that such ignorance is by choice, like climate-change denial or anti-vaxism.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.