Yahoo secretly built a tool to scan all email in realtime for US spies

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/04/yahoo-secretly-built-a-tool-to.html

5 Likes

Oh no! Now the government knows everything in my junk account!

22 Likes

Hotmail’s doing it too!?!?

uh I mean outlook.com.

7 Likes

it’s lucky that Yahoo is evidently not a business built with the intention of making money because think of how much governmental money better used elsewhere they could have gotten otherwise.

6 Likes

This sort of news brings to mind those people I used to discuss such things with ages ago; so, so many of them believed wholeheartedly that such things were impossible, and would never happen and certainly were not happening at the time.

9 Likes

Trust in government and corporations has been completely wiped out. Wow, I’m so F@#$ing angry. Anonymize everything, encrypt everything, and distributed everything.

10 Likes

Why would we think this is isolated to Yahoo?

13 Likes

wishful thinking?

13 Likes

Cory’s too fast for you, Rob.

1 Like

The sources said the program was discovered by Yahoo’s security team in May 2015, within weeks of its installation. The security team initially thought hackers had broken in.

When Stamos found out that Mayer had authorized the program, he resigned as chief information security officer and told his subordinates that he had been left out of a decision that hurt users’ security, the sources said. Due to a programming flaw, he told them hackers could have accessed the stored emails.

At least there was one principled employee there…

20 Likes

From Reuters:

Exclusive: Yahoo secretly scanned customer emails for U.S. intelligence

So, uh, did they find any?

34 Likes

I’m Yahoo’ing right now.

5 Likes

Is that a euphemism? That’s a euphemism, right?

7 Likes

I see what you did there.

5 Likes

4 Likes

The @Pinboard twitter feed at the moment is really funny. I mean, it’s like that most of the time, but today the jokes basically write themselves.

Sorry. I"m not all that familiar with the Simpsons. Is that one Burt?

10 Likes

Ernie

_Writing blah blah blah down here_

5 Likes

Well it’s not like I’m going to read any of the garbage that arrives in my Yahoo inbox.

8 Likes

O snap! I just knew I shouldn’t have used that account to send out nuclear secrets!

7 Likes