Yes, bring back netbooks

My main complaint about netbooks is that they are part of the disposable devices mentality. The shittiness of the first netbooks was offset by the low price and the knowledge that when something better comes along, you can just toss your old one away, it’s just cheap plastic.

I don’t want to toss my entire device every few years. My computers tend to run for about a decade, and after that I still power them up and then for vintage gaming. And even then, my 2010 iMac is still a good chassis, and I could even imagine using the chassis of my G4 PowerBook from 2004 still, if the parts could be replaced.

1 Like

You know, the funny thing is… I had a 701c when I was young; it was my first laptop. I was all excited when they gave it to me, even though it was a bit outdated.

The ergo of it was horrible. The keyboard had no palm rest, and because it was a thick brick, I had to carry a palm rest for it. It was thick and heavy, the screen was small, it had the pointing nub (which is a love it or hate it thing), and it seemed to get hot easy.

And my keyboard started to sag, which meant that I needed to “help it” a bit to get it back into the case. That process really required three hands…

I mean, it is kind of an elegant hack to get a wide aspect keyboard to fit into the space of a 4:3 display… and I understand the desire to have one as a collectable… but having lived with one for a while… I’m happy with modern laptop design.

Now… a Toshiba Libretto? I own one, and I really, really wish that they would make a modern one of those! (Of course, I would hope that the display would be larger, the device thinner, and the screen bezel mouse more virtual…) But the difference may be that the Libretto was never my primary computer…

(You know what would also be really cool? a modern Poqet PC. Or a HP 200LX. I never had either one. Which again is probably why I think it would be so cool. :slight_smile: )

This was pretty common for machine of the day. Even of today: I’m typing right now on a keyboard with no palm rest. Never bothered me.

It was thick and heavy,

Not that heavy; the 4.5 pounds was right in line with other subnotes of the day. The “thin and light” 560 that replaced it was still 4 pounds.

I don’t think the 701 line was designed to be used in one’s lap.

it had the pointing nub (which is a love it or hate it thing)

Not a downside. There are plenty of other machines for people who don’t like the trackpoint.

And my keyboard started to sag,

I never had this problem, but I managed to convince Sam Palmisano to swap mine for a 560 after just a few months, so maybe it would have developed over time. I wish someone would bring it back. Combined with the new foldable screens, it would make for a powerful combination.

The reason for the $500 price tag is contained in the words “hardened” and “industrial”.

Much like Toughbooks are three grand even though they are low to mid end spec wise.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.