Yes Men punk the NRA with "buy one gun, give one gun" program

Is the requirement for a drivers licence an illegal tax on free movement?

Gun people sound so weird to us from outside the US.

13 Likes

What if everyone votes that you can’t carry a handgun anymore in said secret ballot?
(also, that is one of the most bizarre analogies I’ve ever seen. Just no)

5 Likes

Hmm, I think one of these things is not quite like the other…

13 Likes

If you can cast a secret ballot you should be able to carry a concealed handgun.
Hmm, I think one of these things is not quite like the other…

Yeah, using a gun actually does something :confused:

I think the best solution is that all Americans have a gun grafted on to their forehead from, if possible, birth. The firing of said gun should be triggered by whichever muscle action the proud American desires, such as a light frown.

5 Likes

This would be the Thomas Jefferson that died in 1809 right?
I understand that the US is very proud of it’s whole constitution and stuff, but just because something worked two hundred years ago doesn’t automatically mean it’s the only basis for law today.
Sure, take inspiration from what’s gone before, but recognise when situations have changed.

(edit, and the ‘free man’ bit implies he wasn’t much bothered about slaves)

9 Likes

The Constitution of the United States of America is a sacred document and cannot be altered or amended… especially not the 2nd… er… amendment…

9 Likes

Jefferson also said we should literally own people.

So, citing him means you have to ackowledge things have changed.

11 Likes

No, no he was not. In fact he liked his slaves quite a bit.

6 Likes

Funny strange because, you know, gun owners are all racists and homophobes.

I would submit a related video, but I guess SNL chases down and removes their old sketches from youtube,

I THINK this is a transcript, but my work actually blocked the site:
https://snltranscripts.jt.org/94/94gfunny.phtml

Yes, I have linked to this organization a few times. I know a couple members on a forum.

Don’t forget to stop at the pharmacy on the way home from work.

5 Likes

Actually I recommend RectiCare which is 5% Lidocaine.

It is a bit pricy, but a little dab is all you need and will last you all day.

You can find it at Walgreens, CVS, and Walmart.

4 Likes

Poe’s Law applies most definitely.
Sometimes the Yes Men fail at satire. I’m sure the NRA see nothing amiss here.

1 Like

The YT vid is “not available”, but this link worked for me (and was worth it):

5 Likes

Definitely won’t be any hanging chads on THAT ballot!

Ballot boxes and guns are two completely different mechanisms for political power. That you can’t keep the two distinct in your mind, makes me doubt that you should be trusted with either one.

8 Likes

Until I read the write-up, I thought it was a real NRA plan, and was being trolled by the Yes Men.

Without a gun and a badge, what do ya got?
A sucker in a uniform waiting to get shot
By me, or another nigga
And with a gat it don’t matter if he’s smaller or bigger

The idea that being armed is a source of power for black people which helps keep the authorities in check is a widely held position which dates at least to the Black Panther Party For Self Defense, and probably much earlier.

In your eagerness to use white privilege discourse to support your personal position on gun control, you ended up speaking for and misrepresenting non-white people. That’s racist, and a dishonest use of privilege theory.

2 Likes

So you’re saying the Black Panthers constitute a “well-regulated militia”?

And yet here you are, speaking for black people and claiming that “they” want guns in order to keep the authorities in check.

What critical mass in terms of numbers did you reach in your interviews of black people on this topic before you concluded that “they” want guns in order to defend their communities against the police?

Seems to me that a LOT of black people realize that having guns is no defense against an ever-increasingly weaponized and militarized police force. What I hear a LOT more black people fighting for is a reduction of police abuse, not greater access to guns with which to fight that abuse.

3 Likes

There was probably a time and place when that theory seemed reasonable.

In practice “I thought he had a gun” is all a cop needs to say in order to kill people of color without facing any serious consequences. And shooting at a cop—even one who was in the wrong—is almost never going to make your situation better.

4 Likes