Yes Men punk the NRA with "buy one gun, give one gun" program

[Read the post]

7 Likes

Yay Yes Men! Was this entirely a Yes Men staging, or was the presentation within a larger event?

5 Likes

Share the Safety

Seems plausible for the NRA, really.

4 Likes

Yes. i can’t tell where the joke starts and the real NRA program ends.

“Share the Safety” sounds like something the NRA would do. The only way I could tell that the entire thing was a joke was Snopes:

9 Likes

Defending freedom, bitches! YEAH! cough, cough

2 Likes

“They’ve gotten marriage rights in the face of almost universal revulsion.”

almost universal?

OK, I’ll let that one pass, way to stay in character.

2 Likes

Poe’s Law, in action.

11 Likes

Are you OK? Do you need some gun oil on that?

2 Likes

he snuck “LGBLT” in there, heheh.

16 Likes

I’m glad to see they pulled this one off. I got to watch the bearded guy (Andy) rewrite it in the wake of the Orlando shooting. It was a lot of work.

8 Likes

You know what is funny, I saw at least half a dozen people on my Facebook feed offering to teach fire arm basics to any of their gay friends or friends of friends free of charge after the Orlando shooting.

3 Likes

I love the views of the audience reactions. For quite a while, a lot of them are still on board with it, and then they gradually start to realize that they’re being pranked.

2 Likes

We teach queers to shoot. Then we teach others that we have done so. Armed queers don’t get bashed. We change the public perception of the sexual minorities, such that those who have in the past perceived them as safe targets for violence and hateful acts — beatings, assaults, rapes, murders — will realize that that now, a segment of the sexual minority population is now armed and effective with those arms.

4 Likes

Is that funny ha ha, or funny . . . ?

2 Likes

Disappointed I didn’t know this was a thing; I’ve been supporting large bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches for a long time. I totally would have marched this Sunday if I’d known that was what it was about.

5 Likes

The first time I read it, I thought it was for-real and figured it was a mighty fine idea. Where does that put me on the Left Wing Quadrant o’ Disdain? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m afraid a shrug of indifference is all I can muster.

11 Likes

This actually illuminated one of the more absurd things I often hear unregulated gun proponents say: “We need our guns to keep the government in check” I’m always gobsmacked when this one comes up, are they thinking Waco? Ruby Ridge? The MOVE bombing?

It helps to remember that this is a whitely privileged argument, no one who’s grown up being harassed by the cops for being the wrong skin color, is going to think that all they need to do is pack a weapon in order to get respect.

Kudos to the Yes Men for following this argument to its logical conclusion. I’ll have more “ammunition” next time some custardhead brings up this old chestnut.

18 Likes

It’s funny you say that, when that is precisely what the Black Panthers did. The Black Panthers say it worked in reducing police harassment too, at least until the racist California Legislature banned open carry.

3 Likes

My point exactly: Look how effective it was, in keeping the government responsive to the people’s needs! Hardly any voter fraud after that, hardly any indiscriminate killings by police… No wonder Gun Rights Advocates believe in the power of their cause, when the Black Panthers were so completely successful in accomplishing their agenda! /snerk

6 Likes