You are so worth an Asahi synthetic rubber cutting board

Originally published at: You are so worth an Asahi synthetic rubber cutting board | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I have used a Sani-Tuff hard rubber cutting board for almost 20 years now, which I picked up at a restauraunt supply store on the Bowery in New York. They’re better for your knives than hard plastic and more sanitary than wood. In the years that I’ve had it, I think I’ve sanded the surface down two or three times. For normal home use, they’ll last forever. You don’t have to order them from Japan, any restaurant supply shop will have them.

6 Likes

I LOVE that Boris the Blade scene.

1 Like

Hmm, I never thought of that. But I already use the dishwasher to store tupperware, and anyway I’d worry that it would end up smelling funky if I left wet stuff in there.

1 Like

In all the excitement after watching the videos about the Asahi back in December, I didn’t think to see if we had a homegrown version stateside. I think it was the allure of the original synthetic cutting board sushi chefs used since 1965 that led me to buy it. That being said, I’ll see how the dimensions of the Asahi work out, and the next version may be a NoTrax Sani-Tuff. How do you like the beige color? I picked the blue thinking that it wouldn’t be so obvious when it gets stained, but now that I have it I’m pretty certain stains are obvious whatever the color. The pricing is pretty similar between the Sani-Tuff and the Asahi, but the 15mm thickness falls somewhere between 1/2" and 3/4".

The dishes dry there, but get put away once they are dry or before starting the inevitable next load of dishes; but I know what you mean because that’s one of the reasons I keep the door cracked open while things dry (now I don’t have a choice because the Asahi is too long to shut the door).

I haven’t found staining to be much of a problem, but seeing as most of my cookbooks also have stains on them, it’s not something I’m going to sweat over. Mine is 12x18x1", So it is heavy and quite non-bendy. I think I paid about $35 c. 2005 for it. I’d describe the color as kind of yellowy-orange, but I’m color blind, so I see a lot of things that way.

4 Likes

I pretty sure that my copy of Paul Prudhomme’s Louisiana Kitchen would be delicious

6 Likes

I prefer handwashing … almost as precious a commodity as time itself

Does not compute. Isn’t your time too precious to spend handwashing?

2 Likes

True, time is the most precious commodity, but hand washing dishes is therapeutic for me and I don’t feel like the dishes are really clean unless they make that Tupperware sound when rubbing the surfaces with rubber gloves. Yeah I agree, totally doesn’t make sense, but if I have to scrub the dishes before loading the machine, it only takes a little more time to me. ^___^

1 Like

Everything goes into the dishwasher as it is. No pre-cleaning. No pre-soaking. Stuff comes out clean and goes into the designated drawers/cupboards. Boom, done.
Style points will be deducted for loading the machine wrong.

3 Likes

And if it says don’t put it in the dishwasher, it’s still going in the dishwasher. Maybe it survives, or maybe I didn’t want it anyway

4 Likes

100% this! I Tetris my dishes into the maximum packing order configuration with plates and bowls nested according to size like a Matryoshka doll cross section. ^___^

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.