You can buy million-watt tattoo-removal lasers on eBay, but don't

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/13/you-can-buy-million-watt-tatto.html

3 Likes

Do not look at laser with remaining eye.

43 Likes

should i watch the video or can someone just tell me if he strapped that onto a shark?

26 Likes

“I need five megawatts by mid-May or you don’t graduate!”

20 Likes

If you think that by threatening me you can get me to do what you want… Well, that’s where you’re right. But - and I am only saying that because I care - there’s a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing.

11 Likes

Note to self - get laser protective coating on eyeglasses. Lord knows what idiot out there has this.

14 Likes

tumblr_nlm572aOB01r5hb9jo4_250

11 Likes

There is no such thing as “laser protective coating”. There are glasses that filter out one particular wavelength, which is great in a laboratory where you know what kind of laser you have, but more of a guess if you want protection against a random lunatic. What kind of laser did he buy, and what wavelength does it use?

12 Likes

A big one.

The good kind? Or it might have a switch on the back to do the bad kind too.

10 Likes

That’s fascinating! China makes some cool stuff these days. I’ve only seen these YAG lasers in laboratories. Also, dangerous as all get-out.

I should tell the astrochemistry professor that I work with about tattoo removal lasers. She bought an American version of this laser for a lot of money, to make interstellar molecules in her lab.

11 Likes

There is such a thing as a joking comment

11 Likes

inside the thing is an infrared YAG laser but you can attach tips that dope the light into different frequencies. It’s pulsed, not continuous, and not very focused out of box, so IDK if its good as it is for, let’s say, making a laser cutter out of it. But it is certainly crazy powerful. The video shows the laser denting a TUNGSTEN ingot.

8 Likes

And then there’s that delicious moment when some knowitall misses the joke, and responds seriously, making it even funnier…

14 Likes

You’re gonna freak when you find out about mirrors…

13 Likes

We need to send one of those things to this guy: http://www.funraniumlabs.com/2017/08/laser-products-hate/

2 Likes

The same fellow that’s in the video on the BB post is featured on the front page of your link:

“(This is not me in this video, but I sure have been sent it a lot times. This guy is terrifying.)”

2 Likes

I’d love to try one as a snow-etch printer on the front yard from an upstairs window, but I imagine that the laser sparkle from the snow while it was printing would be brutal.

2 Likes

Assuming I’m the know-it-all… I’ve learned to take EVERYTHING seriously unless I’m 120% sure it is not. After all, English is not my first language so most jokes pass over my head.

Unlike Drax, I’m not fast enough :wink:

7 Likes

His second test is pointing it at his skin…

3 Likes

Sorry, can you type that out in braille?

3 Likes