You can call me AI

This is the part about AI “art” generation that pisses me off. There is already WAY MORE human-generated art (talk about a prefix I wish I didn’t have to use) than we can possibly consume and far more obscure artists who will never get attention and an opportunity to shine. We know exactly who whose insatiable hunger isn’t satisfied with the pace and scale of human output, and that’s producers and bosses who will immediately lose patience with having to pay humans for their time, talent and energy to produce it.

6 Likes

… “unreliable narration” being a pretty advanced literary concept for little kids I guess :thinking:

1 Like

It was that kind of thinking which also led to SeeU’s eventual failure to become south korea’s Hatsune Miku (along with not releasing a proper english voicebank). Big showy displays but a refusal to embrace user generated content which ultimately powered Miku’s rise more than anything else at that same scale. Embracing the tool by a select few instead of what art the tool can made by the masses. It could have empowered kpop the same way vocaloid empowered experimental jpop. Heck, kawaii metal was practically invented by vocaloid producers screwing around with the software with a few notable names here and there going on to produce music for bands like how Yuyoyuppe wrote a massive chunk of Babymetal’s catalog.

The hyper-parasocial kpop/hallyu mindset is what’s gonna hold back Bang’s AI ambitions. The korean entertainment industry already treats humans like robots asking them to live up to unsustainable standards which completely tears at performers’ mental health states (which has been seen in various high profile suicide stories the past few weeks over there). It’s a fatal flaw in his AI plans. Why go with a cgi kpop group when the real kpop group that cgi one is based on is kinda already there trained to military precision. Western hallyu fans know this is happening, which also makes them often times the biggest critics. Bang is likely going to fall on his face with this one too.

4 Likes

Is that why Tom was dating her?

One reason for this may be the lack of “perplexity” in language in the essays from China. This is a probabilistic measure of how varied the word choice is in a sample of writing that detection tools often use to decide whether something is computer-generated. “If perplexity is high, that’s more likely to be human according to these detection algorithms,” says Zou.

The findings might not be as straightforward as they appear, though, because ghostwriters often produce essays to order for international students, says Thomas Lancaster at Imperial College London. “We don’t have any clear evidence that the [Chinese] essays sampled were written by somebody who has English as their second language,” he says.

Lancaster also says that international students who feel less confident in their written English might use grammar-checking tools, which could result in more false positives in AI checkers. “This will naturally see their essays being shaped towards a more standardised approach,” he says.

also

What LLMs are currently capable of producing is industrially scaled, industrial-grade bullshit. That’s troublesome for many reasons, not least of which is that humans have enough trouble discerning the age-old artisanal variety. Every human is required to make a zillion tiny decisions every day about whether some notion they’re presented with should be believed, and rarely do they have the opportunity or desire to stop, gather all the relevant information, and reason those decisions from first principles. To do so would pretty much halt human interaction as we know it, and even trying would make you pretty annoying.

6 Likes
4 Likes

fuck my life bang head GIF

3 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes

Calling it now, AI in education is going to be the right wing’s next major freakout. If even what this MIT professor said is only one-third true, they’re gonna be scared because there’s a decent number of their base who wants their kids to grow up to be as dumb as they are.

1 Like
2 Likes

Assuming that these stories are true, the problem is that OpenAI controls the means of production.

8 Likes

The recent moves in AI (along with the attempted hostile takeover of a rival agency and bringing in shady folks like Scooter Braun) might have shown the beginning of Bang’s and in turn Hybe’s villain arc.

3 Likes

Pozalabs, backed by CJ ENM, was established in 2018 after CEO Huh Wongil saw growing demand for affordable background music to be used in video content creation. Current music copyright clearance complexities are an obstacle to the (legal) use of previously recorded music and could not keep up with the Korean industry’s “ppalli ppalli” (everything fast) work routine. “Typically, it takes about two weeks to create music, but it takes about 5 minutes for our system. That means we can make 50-60 tracks, while others can only do five,” said Huh.

They want background music to be “affordable”, but using a royalty-free track that someone somewhere might have used already is absolutely unacceptable.

1 Like

So, basically, just automate this: :thinking:

(Credit: As seen on BB in 2019)

I love/hate this video. Ever since watching it, the tracks in question just leap out of their background and repeatedly smack me on the head with a pool noodle.

6 Likes

jem and the holograms GIF

5 Likes

6 Likes

In a year, this will be all dating sites

1 Like

First came DeepBlue, then Watson, then AlphaGo and now Level 8 CPU in Street Fighter.