You can call me AI

It always has been. Ever since Google started preparing for its IPO in 2003 and dropped the pagerank algorithm (and score) from the results it’s been markov chains and bullshit all over.

5 Likes

Time to start Yet Another Hypertext Online Organizer. It would have to be manually curated from what scraps remain of “content” that are not in walled gardens; just the “good stuff” created by humans who had something intelligent or creative to say to the world.

Maybe we could even distribute some server tools to make it easy for people to put up sites on their internet-connected computers.

Oh wait, :thinking: that sounds too much like a publicly minded academic exercise that doesn’t lend itself to political manipulation, surveillance, and advertising “engagement”. It sounds like there’s no money in that, not even a contract from the spies, so never mind. :cry:

Edit: I missed Hinton resigning from Google, apparently so he could speak freely about risks.

Such fierce competition [between Google and Microsoft] might be impossible to stop, Hinton says, resulting in a world with so much fake imagery and text that nobody will be able to tell “what is true anymore.”

5 Likes
1 Like

6 Likes

At least it sounds like they’re mad about it for the right reasons - the things that are bad about how these models work and are trained

I guess for me in this particular case I’m okay with it. I’m guessing that 99% of the images that went into Mid-Journey that allowed it to generate an AI picture of Shodan belong to the license holder anyway

If they were using it to replace artists that would be a different matter, but this is just a one-off thing that they did only because an AI generator existed. An artist would never have been asked to do it, since the joke is an AI creating it

Also, shit I forgot it was coming out at the end of this month. Oh well, it’ll have to wait until I finish Tears of the Kingdom

Oh god…what do you call body horror, but for plants?

All I see is a Cronenberg movie in the making :nauseated_face:

ETA: okay clicking through some of the chairs are cute. But God that thing that you pulled out of the article, like a banana, a cob of corn, and a green bean (the stem looks all wrong for a banana) all went into the teleporter at once

And I like (?) how the eggplant chair has definitely been poisoned by the emojis use

The eggplant chair should be labeled NSFW!

1 Like

I’d definitely go for a pea pod twin bed, tho. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Dibs on the garlic chair.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Angry Stacey Abrams GIF by OneGeorgia

[ETA] This one too…

2 Likes

The guy has been working on this for years, and suddenly he thinks it’s dangerous? :thinking:

2 Likes

I don’t know… I’m not a computer scientist, but it seems to me like both of them are extrapolating something fantastical out of the technology that exists right now… My non-technical eye has seen no evidence that this technology is on the brink of becoming smarter than us and taking over everything all Terminator style… :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

Not even close. But I guess it’s more fun to think about then how our non-intelligent technology actually is killing us right now, because capitalists can’t leave oil unexploited.

5 Likes

Indeed. Anything to ignore the elephant in the room about how we’re fucking up our chances for any kind of positive future…

3 Likes

Meta joins the parade. They all want to be part of the cartel that rents “AI” to replace workers and suck more money up the ladder.

1 Like
4 Likes
6 Likes

Another rich guy being scared of losing a bit of power

It is immensely frustrating seeing so many people talking about the non-existent threat of AI being smarter than us, but failing to grasp that it’s machine learning automation from greedy tech bros which is the real threat to people’s livelihoods. I can only hope for a new luddism movement.

9 Likes