You can call me AI

So - racist robots that want to kill people, is it?

8 Likes

Ai Moves GIF by M3GAN

:grimacing:

5 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

I havenā€™t been keeping up, so apologies if this is a repeat, but just been playing around with this fun AI sketch thing:

I just did this one

So cute!

6 Likes
5 Likes

I really wish we had other wording for that stuff.

Inbreeding, hallucination, the term AI itself - fuck this language, and sideways.

I hate it.

Whenever a writer uses terms which, scientifically, used to have a definition already, the concepts and ideas behind both sides of the analogy get confused and confounded.

I Hate It Trash GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

6 Likes

I tried the prompt ā€œA beautiful personā€, and the results were interesting.

1 Like

Did you do the sketch, too? To me, thatā€™s the fun part.

1 Like

Indeed!

Though also, to me, scary. Are we going to see the end of creative effort, of the effort it takes to get good at making art, and at writing, and at music writing, andā€¦

:Still thinkingā€¦and worried

5 Likes

Would, ā€œwith a size of just 100KBā€ not fit on any old floppy diskā€¦ Pretty much every format from 1972 on or thereabouts, though. Yes, some of the early variants had a capacity of less than 100kB:

(The onebox is a bit misleading. The first list lists 8" formats, followed by other lists of other formats, including some obscure proprietary stuff.)

3 Likes

I used to backup our 8ā€ disks every week, and it took half a day. Laughable how little they stored, now.

4 Likes

I understand and agree with your concern, but Iā€™m also feeling a bit more optimistic. As an example, Adobe photoshop didnā€™t ruin the value of photography. I donā€™t think humans will ever not want to make things. Or do things with our hands and bodies.
Iā€™m trying to think of these as new toys to play with, but also pay attention to the legislation that stops the tech from scraping/plagiarizing everything is humans have created.

4 Likes

Yes, that helps me step back from the abyss a bit.

And itā€™s also true that like, once better drawing implements were developed, artistic humans no longer saw a need to scratch drawings onto cave walls with a stone. The advances are all just better tools.

Still, (and not to just repeat myself), it does seem worrying that AI already seems capable of doing nearly ALL the work nowā€¦

4 Likes
3 Likes

Clearly designed by someone who has never seen me shopā€¦

the incredibles pixar gif GIF by Disney Pixar

Jenna Boyd Shopping GIF by NETFLIX

2 Likes
3 Likes

Artificial intelligence is gaining state lawmakers' attention, and they have a lot of questions

1 Like

But for some experts who have studied the technology, such as University of Washington linguist Bender, those improvements wonā€™t be enough.

Bender describes a language model as a system for ā€œmodeling the likelihood of different strings of word forms,ā€ given some written data itā€™s been trained upon.

Itā€™s how spell checkers are able to detect when youā€™ve typed the wrong word. It also helps power automatic translation and transcription services, ā€œsmoothing the output to look more like typical text in the target language,ā€ Bender said. Many people rely on a version of this technology whenever they use the ā€œautocompleteā€ feature when composing text messages or emails.

The latest crop of chatbots such as ChatGPT, Claude 2 or Googleā€™s Bard try to take that to the next level, by generating entire new passages of text, but Bender said theyā€™re still just repeatedly selecting the most plausible next word in a string.

When used to generate text, language models ā€œare designed to make things up. Thatā€™s all they do,ā€ Bender said. They are good at mimicking forms of writing, such as legal contracts, television scripts or sonnets.

4 Likes