You can call me AI

Would you mind linking again? I couldn’t find it. I sometimes struggle with long threads.

ETA I believe that bias and discrimination are the actual real, right now and in the future, threat of AI. I believe that from years of reading and interacting, as an outsider.

I’m not worried that AI will turn into an apex techbro, obsessed with resource acquisition, and destroy us all. That’s a stupid worry from people who stupidly imagine all intelligence is like their stupid selves.

2 Likes

No prob. It was this one (didn’t want to get flagged for a duplicate link):

As you’ll see in the video, this got a response along the lines that it’s also bad and will be addressed, too, but it’s not as important as focusing on the extinction of humanity. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: There are too many folks who want to justify keeping canaries in the coalmine. One reason is because it doesn’t affect them. The other is that they benefit from it, as long as they can escape before they meet the same fate.

5 Likes

Thanks, it’s one of my girl’s birthday Eve so I must watch what she wants! I’ll check that tomorrow.

3 Likes

What I don’t get is that they don’t get (not even on a theoretical level) that, however the actual scenario, bias and discrimination is bound to be a major factor in “AI might/will snuff out humanity”.
But as you said, right now it doesn’t inconveniece them personally, and there is a lot of money in it yet.

2 Likes

4 Likes

When you go to the beautiful Ottawa Food Bank, bring your appetite!

3 Likes

A longer-form version of what I’ve already said here.

Why I invited OpenAI’s crawler bot in for a meal

Panic in the World

The current tulip mania of LLM AI is creating a lot of fuss, especially in how the companies slurp everything on the Internet to build their training models, without rewarding content creators or respecting IP rights holders. (Standard Valley Bro practice, as with facial recognition junk: steal all the images!)

Many sites certainly have good cases for blocking the crawlers of AI companies until they learn to play nice, however, I decided to let OpenAI’s crawler in.

First, it was reasonably well-behaved. Unlike another AI company’s, it didn’t try to jam in requests as fast as my pipe and RPi3 could handle them. It understood a Mediawiki site and didn’t try repeat requests for the same pages with dozens of variations of useless options.

Second, I wanted to taint their model. :blush:

You’ve Got to Be Carefully Taught

My site is a personal project with a collection of over 20 thousand news articles, mainly concerning the far-right, from the street to government halls to oligarch networks, with links to the original articles, a short summary, tagged with keywords, people, organizations, with micro-format markup. The ~10 thousand tags, in turn, link to the news articles using it, other tags, Wikipedia articles, IRS Form 990 data for non-profit organizations, etc. All very tasty semantic-rich content.

It’s wafer-thin!

Will that completely distort OpenAI’s GPT-5 model? Heh, no! At best, it might give a tiny nudge on particular topics, especially if they slurp the original articles. Google’s 2019 C4 AI dataset ranked my site at 92,346th, with 210k tokens, which is impressive when compared to the size of the Internet, but nothing compared to sites like Breitbart. sigh.

It came from the Data Void

Data voids happen in search engines where the results for a search term are “shallow”, with few influential results. It’s possible to capture a data void search term with little effort.

Likewise, LLM models also have data voids, where there is little in their model on a particular subject, and it has to construct a response from what it has.

I have hopes of filling a few voids, and I’m making a list of terms to check when their GPT-5 model ships.

This message is a warning about danger

My site is admittedly an experimental joke. A Raspberry Pi 3, a free domain, and a residential Internet connection, the effort of one person (indexing the excellent work of others. All credit to them).

However, what happens when groups with money, resources, and political goals do the same thing in large scale?

The Valley bros should be thinking about that rather than inane stuff like Roko’s Basilisk, Robot Hell, and their selfish (racist!) Longtermism.

And the rest of us should be watching them carefully.

6 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

Why only 50%? This seems to be along the lines of “stop until it’s fixed”

4 Likes

What? :astonished: In this terrible Age of the Forward Fix? That’s heresy! Repent now, before the tech bros hear of this…

Disagree Clean It Up GIF by NOW WE'RE TALKING TV SERIES

4 Likes
5 Likes

Funny stuff, until someone gets killed.

Then it’s slap on the wrist time for SF tech overlords.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Yeah, shit happens.

Or I suppose for these perpetrators, doesn’t. :rage:

1 Like

Reboing from 2 days ago.

Comment on the headline from where I got it is so, so very true:

I just hit my entire Internet Buzzword Bingo card!

3 Likes

This singing synth company has been around for many, many years (all the way back to 2018). Quite a long time before the current crop of ai deepfake voices flooded meme videos so I can’t blame them for getting defensive

5 Likes