You can call me AI

… so now that we know somebody somewhere is living in a simulation, how do we know it’s not us

1 Like
2 Likes

Oh no!

With $10B, they should be able to bleed $1M/day for over 27 years. I guess they’re using Valley Bro math.

5 Likes

Comedy Central GIF by Another Period

8 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/13/business/ai-quantum-computer-kaku/index.html

In an interview with CNN’s Fareed Zakaria on Sunday, the futurologist said chatbots like OpenAI’s ChatGPT will benefit society and increase productivity. But fear has driven people to largely focus on the negative implications of the programs, which he terms “glorified tape recorders.”

“It takes snippets of what’s on the web created by a human, splices them together and passes it off as if it created these things,” he said. “And people are saying, ‘Oh my God, it’s a human, it’s humanlike.’”

However, he said, chatbots cannot discern true from false: “That has to be put in by a human.”

Sounds like he sorta said the same thing I did a few months ago in this same thread about LLMs. That it’s interesting that people somehow got computers to act like hyperlexic children.

2 Likes

What’s this “tape recorder” device he mentioned, and can it be monetized somehow?

2 Likes

Must be really hardcore bullshit if Michio Kaku doesn’t believe it.

2 Likes
8 Likes

I’m sure that the Valley Bros will be quaking in their boots.

4 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

What are the odds that this press release was written by an “AI” programme?

5 Likes

:thinking: Probably scanned too many books about “speaking things into existence.” :wink: According to my manual, all we need to do now is confuse it with illogical content or ask it to solve a problem with no solution before we can…

Star Trek Spock GIF

5 Likes

So the obvious thing happened in SF

3 Likes
3 Likes
6 Likes

I follow a lot of their work and them on social media etc. this really stood out for me. A well known gentleman when asked why he didn’t speak up for Gebru on her really pretty infamous firing from Google - Hinton says: “I believe that the possibility that digital intelligence will become much smarter than humans and will replace us as the apex intelligence is a more serious threat to humanity than bias and discrimination, even though bias and discrimination are happening now and need to be confronted urgently.”
Fuck you Hinton.

Long termist shit is just an excuse to not deal with actual real problems now.

7 Likes

Yeah, that same ugly attitude was on display in the Democracy Now video I posted above. A sort of dismissive annoyance that women are derailing their “Everybody panic!” message. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like