You can call me AI

Sixth power??? Well, at least it wasn’t factorial.

1 Like
2 Likes

It’s so much better than when they first tested it (I had it in 2020) that it’s a totally different thing.
Shocked me how much better it was, sure it’s not perfect (and some of that would be fixed if it was trained on your internal data and therefore knew your acronyms like MS Office does) but it was laughably bad when they started out.

2 Likes

It really didn’t handle accents well at all (at all). I’m sure a Dublin 4 accent would be handled better than my culchie-midwestern hybrid anyway.

2 Likes

It was initially absolutely awful at Irish accents, really noticeably better at non native English speaking accents than that which makes sense as much more training data. Last time I was checking I didn’t notice much difference between a south Dublin speaker and Belfast which is huge progress. I’ve been really frustrated with transcription in the past as it has usually been gibberish even when I’ve spent time training it. You spend an hour training those things and it spouts Vogon poetry. Such a pain in the hole.

I guess they’ve been listening to so much of your talk for so long they’ve just got enough data and they’re burning the sky but at least it’s an actual positive use for AI which is a rarity.

ETA
In the old days Mayo wouldn’t be more incomprehensible to them than Dublin as the, I assume discrete, training data contained neither. Now it probably confirms more to real world bias as it’s trained on real world data.

2 Likes

ELEVEN !!!

5 Likes

Yeah. That’s exactly my experience in the past. All those data centres burning the sky and the complete collapse of data privacy have made a huge difference in just the last two years though. One even.

2 Likes

I wonder if in the case of Zoom at least, that’s offset by the commutes and such people who meet that way don’t take.

3 Likes

I think you’re right. We can also insist that data centres are run on renewables to get planning permission.

Oh wait, no we can’t, because our government are right wing arsehole coalition using the Greens as a mudflap.

4 Likes

On the energy front, consider Ireland, a small country with an awful lot of datacentres. Its Central Statistics Office reports that in 2022 those sheds consumed more electricity (18%) than all the rural dwellings in the country, and as much as all Ireland’s urban dwellings. And as far as water consumption is concerned, a study by Imperial College London in 2021 estimated that one medium-sized datacentre used as much water as three average-sized hospitals.

2 Likes
1 Like

Help me understand the terms…is Sam Altman a creature, a tool, or maybe both?

1 Like
  • CREATURE OF MICROSOFT
  • TOOL OF MICROSOFT
  • POR QUÉ NO LOS DOS
0 voters
1 Like

I imagine BB is on that list.

3 Likes

Cross post

5 Likes

I just checked out of curiosity and it isn’t.

1 Like

Has anyone posted this yet?

The parallels between the Luddites and the current situation with AI are interesting…

1 Like

12 Likes

But the algorithms can show a cute birdie parrot!
…If you don’t mind the toes.

Craiyon cute birdie parrot

6 Likes